We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

Glasgow, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

I am looking to go to Rome for a few days in May/June and look to see the following:

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Capuchin Crypt

Forum, Colosseum

Pantheon

Vittoria Emmanuele Monumnet

Vatican.

Really I have 2.5 days, will this realistically be enough time? Not looked into distances etc yet but I assume it's easy enough to get a sightseeing bus and hop on/hop off at specific sights?

Also, can anyone recommend a hotel for around £100 a night or less? I prefer to get actual peoples opinions rather than reviews as they tend to be hot and cold.

Thanks!

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Glasgow, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

I should say £100 a night budget for a Double Room (but preferably less)

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

You could try the Beehive. It is in a good location, affordable and a great choice for someone staying in the city for only a couple of days.

Forget the bus and use your legs! You can walk Rome easily and it is the best way to experience the city. For example You can walk between the Pantheon, Trevi and Spanish Steps in around 20 minutes total! You can easily walk between The Forum, Colosso and Victor E in around the same amount of time.

A pleasant walk from the Beehive around the Termini area to the Vatican would take you around 55 minutes or you could grab a metro from the Termini to the Vatican stop.

So you can see that you can stroll about discovering the city without having to use public transport to see most of it's greatest hits.

Have fun and remember to wear comfortable shoes!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

We spent almost an entire day just in the Vatican, almost a day at the forum and Colosseum, you'll have to walk quickly. You can see the steps and trevi fountain at night while out for dinner. For a reasonable hotel that also does a breakfast and has a lift try the Hotel Grifo, we stayed last year and got a great deal but it was October.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

Hi there, we recently visited Rome for 4 nights - 3 full days. we stayed at Campo dei Fiori area which was perfect because we walked everywhere within 20 minutes and it was safe and beautiful. We stayed at Flamini Domus B&B, very good value, around your budget, but book with them directly for a better deal rather than through a booking site. For reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d155282…

I also wrote a trip report about our experience in Rome, have a look if you want.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited: 20 April 2012, 10:56
Glasgow, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

Great, thanks everyone for your help and I'll definitely read the trip report.

Sorry for all of the questions but where can I buy the Roma Pass online? The link on its website doesn't appear to be working.

If you are under 25 do you get a discount on the Colosseum etc? Would this mean that there was no real point in getting the Roma Pass?

Where is the best place to book the 'beat the queues' Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill tours? Does the Roma Pass get us on this free? Again, do Under 25s get this cheaper or do you have to be a student?

Where is best to book the Vatican tour also?

Again sorry for all the questions!

Edited: 21 April 2012, 00:26
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,872 posts
5,890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

We have also stayed at Beehive, this year and once before in 2006. It is a very good option for Rome, a bit of a gem find actually. Here is our review (w/pictures) if useful.

tripadvisor.com/…UR125881307

Noticed some real gems (attractions) missing from your to-do list, like Piazza Navona, for example. Its a quick walk away from the Pantheon so perhaps you can club them together.

Might also suggest you try to find a few of Rome's world-class churches that are off the list as well. Like San Giovanni in Laterano, San Clemente, Santa Maria Maggiore, Santa Maria dell Vittoria.

Have a great time in Rome.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

I strongly recommend St.Giovanni in Laterano. I loved this church when I was there last month

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,872 posts
5,890 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

Agree JOSEANTIONIO,

Many trips to Rome over the years and San Giovanni in Laterano is probably my very favorite in the city. I also, just love this church.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d192…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

Mike, there is no benefit to buying the romapass online. Just buy it when you get to Rome.

You must meet certain criteria to get reduced or free entry to sites. Here's the information for the colosseum:

Reduced fee is allowed to:

* citizens between 18 and 24 years old of the European Union and of countries subject to conditions of reciprocity (Austria, Belgio, Bulgaria, Cipro, Danimarca, Estonia, Finlandia, Francia, Germania, Grecia, Irlanda, Islanda, Italia, Lettonia, Liechtenstein, Lituania, Lussemburgo, Malta, Norvegia, Olanda, Polonia, Portogallo, Regno Unito, Repubblica Ceca, Romania, Slovacchia, Slovenia, Spagna, Svezia, Svizzera, Ungheria);

*free admission is allowed to:

citizens under 18 and over 65 years old of the European Union and of countries subject to conditions of reciprocity (Austria, Belgio, Bulgaria, Cipro, Danimarca, Estonia, Finlandia, Francia, Germania, Grecia, Irlanda, Islanda, Italia, Lettonia, Liechtenstein, Lituania, Lussemburgo, Malta, Norvegia, Olanda, Polonia, Portogallo, Regno Unito, Repubblica Ceca, Romania, Slovacchia, Slovenia, Spagna, Svezia, Svizzera, Ungheria);

If you fall into one of these catagories then you probably won't need the romapass. If you don't qualify for a discount then you need to do the math to see if the romapass will save you any money.

You DON'T need to take a tour in order to skip the lines at the colosseum. The romapass allows you to bypass the lines. Also, you can buy entry tickets online that allow you to bypass the lines. You can also buy entry tickets at the forum or palatine hill (which usually have a much shorter line than the colosseum) which allow you to bypass the line at the colosseum.

If you are taking a tour it will cost you an additional fee. The romapass does not cover tour costs nor does being under 25. The only discount are entry discounts if you qualify for them. Any tour you decide to take you'll need to pay the full price for the tour. Entry is a totally separate charge.

You can book a vatican tour directly through the Vatican:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

You might qualify for reduced entry to the museums if you meet this criteria:

#

Q. Is it possible to buy reduced tickets?

A. Yes, it is possibile for children between 6 and 18 years of age and students up to 26 years of age with a student identity document (International Student Card to show on the day of the visit).

This does not give you a discount on the tour, only on the entry fee. You must show documentation to get this discount.

Donna

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in Rome - Hotel and Sights

I've read this at a website:

"All citizens from European Community ( EU ) can have free entrance in all National Museums, National Galleries and Archeological Areas in Italy on their birthday - Rome: Colosseo, Roman Forum, Borghese Gallery, Capitoline Museum, Barberini Gallery; Naples: Archeological Museum, Capodimonte Museum, St. Elmo’s Castle."

Museums free on birthday! Is this true?