We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands England
Level Contributor
369 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

I'm going to Rome for five nights at the end of May with my wife. We haven't been there for 30 years. We've sorted out the hotel and the footwear.(!) We're not big sightseers. Yes we'll go to the Forum and the Parthenon but we like cafes and a bit of window shopping and lots of walking but we'd like to do "special stuff".

So what was special to you? (For example I've read that walking Rome very early in the morning is fun.)

What else>

Ciao raggazzi.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

I'm off to Rome too for my third visit at the beginning of June. Taking my son this time so will be doing the usual sights with him.

Although not technically Rome, I did really enjoy Tivoli and Villa D'Este on my first visit back in 1998. We took a half day tour which included Hadrians Villa.

Have fun!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Early morning walks in Rome are lovely. You beat all the tourist hordes and the temperature will be a bit cooler. I took a photo of the Trevi Fountain with no one around at about 8am one morning.

Globetrotters idea is good too. On our 2nd visit to Rome we took the train to Tivoli and then a bus to Villa Adriana. This place is huge and we spent much longer there than we anticipated. We then took the bus back to Tivoli and visited Ville D'Este which is a lovely cool oasis with stunning gardens. We finished off with a light meal and drink at the cafe at Villa D'Este before taking the train back to Rome. It was a really good day.

On our 1st trip we really enjoyed the catacombs of Domitilla, just a short bus ride from central Rome.

Enjoy!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Ummm, the parthenon is in Greece. I think you meant the Pantheon.

I think "special" is an individual thing. For me, "special" was taking my daughter for the first time and seeing her reactions to the sites of Rome. There really are no limits on what can be special. It all depends on how you see things. I, personally, like sitting on my balcony and watching the sun set over the city. For me, that's magical.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Always visit the Pantheon, and preferably just after opening.

Love the fountains at night, Piazza Navona and Trevi

Campo dei Fiori markets

Santa Maria del Popolo because it was the first church I went into in Rome and I was bowled over by its treasures. I keep going back and sort of reliving that experience.

…blogspot.com.au/2009/09/into-rome-and-final…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

It all.... moi, je ne regrette rien!

Peter

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

I love walking in Rome - but I also enjoyed sitting in a cafe near the Panthenon, watching the world go by, the tourists, the locals, and the guys who bring their market gear to sell - their behaviour when the police and their behaviour - it's all very interesting and an entertaining day out!

california
Level Contributor
621 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Definately the Scavi tour. I've done it 3 times in the last 3 years and it still amazes me.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

When I go back to Rome... I'm going out for another walk along the Appian Way. I'll of course do the same historic center stroll past Trevi Fountain, The Pantheon (not Parthenon), Piazza Navona, etc.

We probably wouldn't go back and do the Forum & Colosseum again having just done that last year. But the underground/third level tour at the Colosseum was a highlight and probably our favorite thing in Rome.

There's so much else to see in Rome that we missed on our first 6 night trip.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

Exploring Trastevere,Ghetto,and the area west of Termini station are high on my list for next year's visit.Thanks Lynn B for your beautiful pictures and words,gave us so many new ideas and hopefully we will have time to fulfill them.

Gardnerville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you went back to Rome what would you do again?

What I would *not* do the next time is settle for any mediocre food. I'd be a lot more prepared to reserve at the places where I know I will eat well. If a restaurant has to come outside to recruit me off the street, I'll know it's not a good sign.