We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

We are staying 3 nights and will have 2 whole days + maybe 2 x half-days to do the sites. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to see in such a short time so that we avoid wasting time?

How far is Pompei from Rome, or would it be too far and maybe we should instead find other things to do?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Pompeii is quite a long way from Rome, about 200 km. So taking a day trip there you will waste a lot time travelling. There is more than enough to see in Rome. What I did when I first went there was spend the first day in Forum/Colosseum area, then the second in the Vatican area. There is plenty to see in each of these neighbourhoods, both the main sites and lesser known ones.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,439 posts
5,653 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

I would also suggest concentrating your time on Rome alone, you'll be hard pressed to see everything you might like during this short of trip anyway. Here is a top ten Rome list we created if useful.

Rome Top Ten Attractions

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i29082-Rome_Top…

Have a great trip to Rome.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Thanks for your advice. I guess Pompei is off the list then. We will be staying not too far from the Collosseum so we will do what you suggested.

Much appreciated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Thanks alot for your help. I will go and check out the list and make a plan.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

I just returned from Rome....3 full days, 4 nights (my flight arrived from Los Angeles at 10 p.m. for that first night). I found the city to be very walkable, dinkum. I didn't look at the list that Bradjill provided, so it's possible some of the things on the list aren't all within walking distance. I pretty much stuck to the major sites though (Colosseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Vatican, Castel Sant'angelo, Spanish Steps, the Borghese, etc.) , and while I did think about taking the metro, I chose not to. And I'm glad I didn't. It's amazing the things you see just by walking the streets of Rome.

I did a tour of the Vatican one afternoon (for about 4 hours), a Colosseum/Forum tour which was about 3 hours. I also opted, last minute, to do a night tour of the fountains and other historical memorials. Was beautiful. The city at night is truly amazing. I can only imagine they must have had some Hollywood lighting director illuminate the city. :) This city is one of the most photogenic I have ever visited. My friends were in awe of my pictures. Not patting myself on the back....it's Rome! Have fun!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Thanks for your very helpful comments. I will add those places to my list then. I agree, you can see so much more when you are walking.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

We are also visiting in September for three nights and like you will have 2 and a half days, although we were lucky enough to visit for 5 nights in 2007, so there are places that I would not bother visiting again which does afford us more time for just soaking up the atmosphere. As the previous posters have said, you need to decide what your top things to see are, for example, for a lot of people the Vatican Museum would be a must see, however I would not consider it a must visit, especially on a short trip. The only part I really enjoyed was the Sistine Chapel and in September, that will be choc a block with people. If you have a great interest in art then you will probably get more out of it.

Rome is a great walking city and a lot of the sights are within walking distance (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo Di Fiori are all walkable within a couple of hours). I plan to do this walk on the day we arrive. For your two full days, I would chose one main thing to do in the morning and then leave the afternoon free for wandering around and enjoying the sites and sounds of Rome. This is an itinerary I would suggest (based on my own interests)

Arrival day: Walk around historic centre (as outlined above) visit and beautiful church you pass on the way!

Day 1: Coliseum and Forum in morning, afternoon free to explore, Trastavere by night.

Day 2: St Peters (climb the dome) and Vatican Museum (if interested) in morning. Maybe Gallerie Borghese if preferred. Afternoon free to explore.

Departure day: Re-visit any favourites.

Of course, you are not going to see everything in 2 days, you’re not even going to scratch the surface, but I guarantee you will be back for another visit and one of the great pleasures of Rome is just wandering around, exploring the back streets, stopping for a glass of wine and some people watching when the urge takes you. I think it’s this that you will remember more than any church or museum.

A good tip is to see sites both during the day and at night. Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona and Pantheon for example, are totally different by day and by night. We aren’t much for going out to pubs and clubs after dinner, so we like to visit these places at night and savour the atmosphere.

Hope you have an amazing time!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

dinkum, it's hard for anyone to make a list of what you should see, let alone the Top 10 sites in Rome. Everyone has different interests and what may interest one person many not interest another. I suggest looking at a few good guide books to determine what you're interested in. Guide books will give you a good description of the sites in order to help you decide what you most want to see in the short time you have.

One example, recently a person came on the forums asking for help with sites. He said he wasn't interested in visiting the Vatican areas at all. This was very important information for us to know because that is one of the main points of interest in Rome. If he had not mentioned it everyone would have told him to spend at least a day there. This is why it's so important for you to do the research and come to us with a list of what you wish to see.

As for Pompeii, with only 2 days in Rome you won't want to take away a whole day to visit Pompeii. It's a very easy trip to make but it will require a whole day and you simply don't have the time if you wish to see anything in Rome.

Donna

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Thanks for your advice Donna it is very much appreciated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short stay in Rome in September suggestions to save time

Thanks ncmc for your advice. That's the trouble with short stays there isn't much time to pack alot in. But you are right we should stop, have some wine and people watch which is fascinating in any city. I appreciate your time.