We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Malmö
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Hi! I really need help with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them about the fact that though my card has been charged i have not received an e-mail with the tickets i bought.

About twelve hours ago i booked train tickets on the trenitalia website. I selected trains and paid with my credit card. I got as far as the confirmation webpage that then gave out a weird double message: It said that the purchase had been successfully completed and states my chosen train times, seats and numbers. It also said that the full amount had been paid and gave me a retrieval code for extra e-mail confirmations. But, on the top of the page is a small line saying "error in ticket generation".

I have not received an e-mail with the ticket and the ticket codes but my card account has been charged with the ticket price.

When i try to get a new e-mail confirmation using the retrieval code i get the same weird double message, the webpage says that i have been sent an email with my tcket details but also displays the same small line saying "error in ticket generation".

The trenitalia website seems to have a problem generating my ticket even though it is there and has been paid for.

I try reaching trenitalias customer service but it is a nightmare:

The so called 24 hour phone service is permanently busy and the do not return the messages i leave on the voicemail i am connected to instead of an operator. The trenitalia website does not state an customer service e-mail address and the trenitalia website customer complaint form does not seem to work.

Surfing the web i saw that several others have had the same kind of problems in the last few days but there seems to be no solution to it.

Does anyone here know how to solve the problem or at least have a tip on how to get in contact with Trenitalia?

I would be very grateful for all input!

85 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,784 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Did you print out that page that had all the information about your train(s) and the PNR number(s)? That is the info you need.

So far, with the reports of problems over the past few weeks about the Trenitalia booking/website, I haven't read any posts about successful contact with Trenitalia. It may have happened and no one posted about it.

If you have looked in your SPAM folder and it is not there and you didn't print out the page with the PNR number, etc and your retrieval code is not helping, you should probably contact your bank and let them know so they reverse the charge.

I hope you do successfully connect with Trenitalia; if you do, please do post here about it as others are going through this frustrating process right now.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

This is the relevant online form …trenitalia.com/Reclami/Default.aspx…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,495 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

I think that if others are having the same problem, a copy of the confirmation "page" should suffice as e-ticket. Did you try e-mailling Helpdesk@trenitalia.it ?

Edited: 28 April 2012, 14:27
Malmö
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Thank you very much for your input!

I only got to the purchasing process webpage called "my travel and payment" so i did not get the PNR or CP but i got the retrieval code. I have tried getting a new e-mail a few times using my name and the retrieval code but every time i get the same weird double message: the webpage says that i have been sent an email with my ticket details but also displays the same small line saying "error in ticket generation". And no ticket-e-mail has come as of yet, even though i have tried sending it to different e-mail-adresses just to make sure that no spam filter is blocking it.

I have sent an e-mail to the trenitalia helpdesk but when i try to use the online form i get error messages when stating dates for the complaints...

I have an additional question: Is it much more expensive to buy tickets at the station in Italy? I have a few days in Rome before i plan to take the train and if it s not much more expensive to buy the tickets at the station a few days beforehand it might be better to have the credit card charges reversed insteda of trying to get in touch with Trenitalia?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

If buying when there, you likely won't get the mini fare - you will pay the regular fare (base price). You could possibly get a mini fare in Rome if you buy the tickets at least two days in advance of when you plan to travel but mini fares do sell out so there may be none available.

You can easily buy the tickets though right at the train stations or at agencies where you see the Trenitalia logo displayed.

Malmö
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Thanks for your answers so far!

If anyone has any more tips on how to tackle the problem above i will be very grateful!

The saga continues: The Trenitalia helpdesk mailbox is full and does not accept any incoming e-mails. The Trenitalia telephone helpline is permanently busy.

Does anyone know if this is a sign of some kind of larger booking system problems at trenitalia at the moment?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,784 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Yes, I mentioned in my first post, there have been problems with their website for a few weeks. They made some changes to it and ever since, people have been reporting problems of the sort you are experiencing. Probably clearly evidenced by the full email box and busy phone line.

Malmö
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

Thanks again for your reply!

Since it is a general problem it seems that it should be possible for me to take my booking purchase confirmation with me to a trenitalia station once i get to Italy and sort things out there.

Since i have already paid for my ticket and have a printout of the Trenitalia booking page with my train numbers, times and seats and with my name as passenger name and a confirmation of payment i cannot see why a Trenitalia office cannot give me my PNR and CP number.

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

You can certainly take those documents to a window and see what they can do, but if they cannot do anything, I think with the information already in hand - train, date/time, seat nos. and payment confirmation - you should be OK

You might also show to the conductor as soon as you can find one to avoid a possible fine, just more insurance.

Re buying tickets in advance by the website, my opinion is the only real reason is for the minifare, which can be really good in some cases esp. if you get one of those 9 Euro fares they were offering. I do not buy the minis if the savings is small, since I want the added flexibility of the base fare I can get the same day of travel, or buy the day before to be sure of train schedule.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them

I had a similar problem. At the recommendation of another person I used an email with a .com instead of .net and received my confirmation soon after. So my email with .net did not work. So when you place the retrieval code you will be asked for an email address and it is ok to enter a new one. If you already entered one with a .com you may want to try another one. Let us know. Rob

Reply to: Problems with the Trenitalia website and how to contact them
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted