We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

My husband and I are traveling to Italy in late August. We have never been there. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to plan this trip from city to city, how many days we should spend where, places not to miss, and a special anniversary place that would be unforgettable? We will be there 13 days. Thank you for your help and suggestions on this. I do appreciate it. Annie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

This is a very broad request - you have not even given one hint at all about what sort of vacation you are looking to have - do you want to be in cities, the countryside (if so, where?), seaside, the lakes, the mountains?

No one can guess what sort of itinerary you want without knowing you.

You should begin first with a good guidebook and begin to get some idea about where you want to visit then people here can help you with suggestions as to how long to stay where, what order you might want to see sites/destinations, etc.

Most importantly, this trip should be all about what you both like and are interested in; if you chose Italy, I am guessing you must have some ideas of what you want to see?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

I haven't the foggiest idea what kind of vacation you're after, but flying into Venice, training to Florence, training to Rome, and flying home from Rome is the easiest. Split you time in each city, and take a well thought out day trip from each to see the surrounding country/highlites. Yes...get a few guide books, and do the planning...it is good therapy.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Yes, I wasn't specific enough. We will be flying into Rome and want to see the sights there. We need to know more about whether to purchase the Roma train tickets now for travel by train. We enjoy walking around and visiting the museums, want to see the Pope's address on a Wednesday, will not be renting a car so are assuming the train is best. We would like to see a play in a theatre, and we want to ride in a gondola in Venice. We love to walk around, and mingle more with the people than go into restaurants. Thank you for helping us out. How far is Venice from Rome and does the train take you to all the main cities? Should we be sure to visit Pompeii? Thank you,

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Venice is a long way from Rome. You would be crazy to even try a day trip from there. Why dont you do a few days in Rome, a few days in Florence and a few days in Venice? You can wander to your hearts content, dine al fresco in a park or piazza or eat in low cost local restaurants without any trouble at all. The big three cities are an excellent introduction to Italy. Don't deny yourself a decent amount of time in these superstar locations. Save the regional wanderings for your next visit.

Have fun

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

thank you. We weren't thinking of a day trip to another city, but rather a guide as to what cities to be sure to visit on our 13 day trip. I suppose the three cities you suggested would be a great start. We just didn't know how many days in each city. I understand we should probably spend more time in Rome. Can you give us any idea how to break up the 13 days for these 3 cities? Thank you, Annie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Allowing for jet-lag on your first day, I would fly into Rome and stay 6-7 nights, train to Florence and stay 3-4 nights. As you say you are not really museum people, take a day bus trip to Siena from Florence. Then train to Venice and stay the remainder, but at least 3 nights. Fly home from Venice.

Flying into one city and out of another is booked as a multi-city or open-jaw ticket and is rarely more expensive. If you have already booked into and out of Rome investigate the cost of changing the tickets as it may be less than returning to Rome the evening before your flight.

Mind you, if I had the choice, I would fly into Venice and out of Rome. Most often the flight times work better.

Italian trains are found at www.lefrecce.it but use Italian place names. You want Roma T, Firenze SMNovella, Venezia SL

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
378 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

What a wonderful opportunity. I would recommend at least 5 days in Rome in addition to your arrival day, 3 days in Florence, and 3 days in Venice. Even 5 full days in Rome will only allow you to scratch the surface. However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend spending half of one of your Rome days going to Ostia Antica or even walking the Appian Way. Have a great trip.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

"How far is Venice from Rome and does the train take you to all the main cities?"

Direct EuroStar Italia trains take 3h48 from Roma Termini to Venezia Santa Lucia. These trains stop on the way at Florence (Firenze S.M.N.), Bologna Centrale and Padova, so you can easily visit any of these along the way or use them as a base for visiting other places. I would second the suggestion to visit Siena from Florence.

You can indeed get to all the main cities, and many smaller ones, using trains. But for some places, e.g. where the station is some way outside the city, it may be easier to use the bus (e.g. Siena from Florence).

"Should we be sure to visit Pompeii?"

I wouldn't, on this particular trip: it's a long way from Rome, and it would be more convenient to visit Ostia Antica and the Villa Adriana from Rome. There is so much more than Pompeii to see around Naples, and I think the South of Italy would be best left for a future trip, covering maybe Campania and Puglia. Unfortunately, it is always necessary to be selective when visiting Italy.

Buon viaggio.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Just keep one thing in mind. Rome in late August will be hot and more humid then CA. Lines are long and with all the pavement and walking it can be exhausting. I would make sure I get a hotel with AC, for comfort and quiet. I would personally spend more time in Venice than Florence. Venice can be such an experience, although I have never been there in Summer. You may want to consider Orvietto before or after Rome for something different. Pompeii is amazing, but would save it for another visit. I would also fly into Marco Polo. It helps to do a little homework to make your trip into Venice from the airport a little easier. I find it so much easier to deal with after a long flight from the westcoast than Fumicino.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour route of Italy...any suggestions?

Thank you so much for this information. It is very helpful to me in planning this trip. Should we buy the Roma Pass or bus passes online now or wait until we get there? Thank you, Annie