We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Hi,

Just wanted to come on and say that our recent trip to Rome wastruly amazing.. it was our 4th visit and we were thinking we would have a day free... well that was not the case!!

We had 5 full days of sightseeing and we enjoyed every minute of it.

We visited St Pauls Basilica and the Cupola in the Vatican, (this walk is not for the faint hearted)!! but the view over Rome was stunning and well worth the climb.

We had to go back to the trevi fountain to throw our coin in.. and I really do hope we can visit Rome again as I will never tire of the place.

Rome has a special place in my heart, the people are lovely and the food is truly amazing.

Hope you all heading to Rome soon have a ball.. I have withdrawl symptoms already :(

Ann

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

I'm glad you had a good time in this city which is really special to me also.

I'd love to hear a little more about what you did in Rome and what you enjoyed the most.

Manchester.
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Ha ha - I agree with every word you said. I too have a special place in myheart for Rome. O Roma Immortalis!I

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Sounds like you had a great time . . .just under 3 weeks until we head off . .

When you mean "not for the faint hearted" what exactly do you mean? lol

Kat

scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Kat,

maybe faint hearted was the wrong way of putting it.

To get to the top of the dome you have to climb 320 stairs, there is a lift that takes you part of the way.

Once inside, you make your ascent around the Dome itself, it gets narrower and narrower the higher you climb. there was a line of people behind us so we couldn't stop for a rest for more than 30 seconds.

A lot of the stairs are extremely narrow, you can hold on to a rope to keep you right. But I was still a little bit scared of slipping or falling off them.

My knees were buckling slightly and at one point the climb made me a bit dizzy due to us having to walk at an angle around the dome.

Finally we reached the top and the view as you walk out was spectacular!!

The view looking down on St Peter's square and beyond will stay with me forever.

There was a lovely wee cafe and souvenir shop, we had a cappucino before our walk down again,

I don't know think my legs stopped shaking for over an hour but well worth it. :)

Edited: 11 May 2012, 15:35
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Don't read this - much better than the BBC's tv adaptation - until AFTER you've been...

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

Peter

scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Thank You Peter,

sounds like a good read.

Will look it up :)

scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Bvlenci,

Myself and my husband had the most amazing trip.

Our 4th visit, we were sort of expecting to do all we never got to do on previous trips and maybe have a day free.... But Rome did not disappoint and we left still not doing everything on our list!!

After we checked into our Hotel (Aenea Superior inn) and what a great wee hotel this is!

After lunch we went to my favourite Basilica, Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore, this is a stunning building, inside and out. I tend to feel really at peace with the world when I go there.

Next day we went to St Paul's Basilica, oh my goodness what a beautiful church, there was mass on while we were there, about 100 priests were there!

We did go and see the cloisters outside, not really my thing but the grounds are lovely and peaceful.

Next morning we walked to the Vatican but by the time we got there 11am it was very crowded so we gave it a rain check until another day,

We decided to walk to Trastevere from the Vatican in time for lunch, it was a lovely sunny day and the stroll was nice.. I didn't know what to expect from Trastevere but wow.... what a beautiful little place, so different from the rest of Rome I think, we had a lovely lunch and we just strolled about and visited a few churches there. Well worth a visit again and there were a few good shops as well, a lovely wee shop that sold wooden items for kids...

The usual tourist haunts like the Pantheon, Colleseum, Trevi Fountain.

Numerous Churches which completely blew me away.. beautiful every single one of them.

First time going to Piazza Navona, a lovely but very busy Piazza, we enjoyed the most delicious ice cream from Tre Scalini... it really was to die for!! and not as expensive as other (not so good) Gelaterias.

The food as I said before was amazing, especially the penne alla vodka and Fettucine boscialola.. which was out of this world!!

I am missing Rome already and look forward to coming back to this wonderful city again.

Ann

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Lovesexy, I've been going to Rome several times a year for the last fifteen years, and I still haven't got through my list! One problem is that I keep hearing of new things.

Thanks for the report, I'm sure it will be very useful for people planning a trip.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 19:23
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Thank you for responding . . .

It sounds like we may give that climb a miss . . .we went to the Crown in the Statue of Liberty last year which was a similar amount of steps, and it was pretty brutal lol especially as I am certainly not fit! I went up there cos my son who was 11 wasn't allowed up on his own and I didnt want him to miss out . . .but I did go through the leg shakes then, but was enclosed by the staircase lol

I don't like heights and I found the feeling of going up the spiral staircase made me feel quite ill . . .if you get that feeling at the top and there's only a rope, I don't think its something that I will be able to do . . .

Are you just able to take the lift to the level and if so, what is at that level if we were to go there?

When you went to Tre Scalini . . .did you just go and have Dessert? We are staying nearby and I've heard lots about this place, but just wondering if you sat and just ate dessert or whether you dined too ?

Thanks so much, Kat

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Had a fantastic trip to Rome!!

Glad you had a good time ! well that coin in the fountain works for me everytime .