We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

Amsterdam,ny
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

Need advice from people who have been there----53 year old couple finally done paying college costs---always want to go to Rome --hang out for 7-8 days --seeing all the sites and little dining places---but now I dont know if we should go on a trip that goes to several cities on one trip------my personal taste is that my husband and I love to be dropped down in a city, (charlestown,sc, montreal, NYC) and walk and visit all the nooks and crannies----BUT---_now a big BUT----the ecomomy is still fragile and I am afraid I won't have the money later to see the rest of italy-----I would , though, like to be relaxed on trips ----I know traveling every other day won't be like that---Help me!----advice please, Karen.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,591 Reviews
from US$73.50*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,883 Reviews
from US$58.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from US$391.20*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

7-8 days is just enough for Rome, maybe if you want to do a a day trip or two, but that's it. If you want to fit in more Italy, you should try and go 10-14 days if possible.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 15:52
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

First of all, congrats in paying your kids' college costs. I would expect your kids to treat you and your husband to another trip to Italy after they've got themselves settled with their careers. It's the least they can do!

I think you can squeeze Rome and Florence over 8 days in Italy. I've done it before, and I didn't feel it was rushed although we had been to Florence before. The only thing I would have done differently is to fly out of a different city than where I flew into. Besides I think it's easier to fly into Rome than it is to fly out.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
33 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

I hear you! My husband and I spent a lot of time in Italy in our youth, and in 3 weeks will be returning for the first time in 25 years, this time bringing with us our son who is graduating from college a few days before our departure. Unlike you, I guess we couldn't wait to pay off the loans - we're taking the trip as a graduation celebration!

Obviously there are two schools of thought: those who want to see a lot of wonderful places, and those who want to see one wonderful place in a bit more depth. I'm going to put in a word for not driving yourselves crazy to see/do/cover everything. The Italians say that a lifetime isn't enough to completely see Rome, and beyond the "big sights" there are so many wonderful day trips you could take using Rome as a base.

But remember: there are no bad choices here. Either way you're going to have a FABULOUS trip!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
4. Re: Just Rome trip or see many cities in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:40