We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese grocery store

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Japanese grocery store

Is there a good Japanese grocery story/ supermarket in Rome? Or, does Rome has a region with a larger community of Asians?

I searched the forum and someone suggested Castroni. Today I went to Castroni's largest store near Vatican and was disappointed. The store itself is good, but I couldn't recognize anything authentically Japanese.

Being Asian, I do enjoy the Italian food here. But at times I have craving for real, good, Asian food. Does anyone know some Asian restaurants here that have many Asian customers?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese grocery store

There is a fairly large Chinese community in the vicinity of Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, not far from Termini station. However, I don't know if you'll find many Japanese products.

There is a shop called Xin Shi Via Carlo Alberto, 10, which claims to sell Japanese groceries. They also sell clothing, household items, and Chinese and Thailandese groceries. That may mean there isn't much room for groceries.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 17:46
sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese grocery store

The Korean market on Via Cavour 84 sells Japanese products.

Another Korean market doing the same thing is on Via Carlo Emanuele I.

Japanese products can be bought from Alimenti Orientali on piazzale Gregorio VII,23/25

Oriental Store on Via Turati Filippo, 130 Roma

Hope that helps you out

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

rome
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese grocery store

The aera around Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, called Esquilino, is full of shops/supermarkets that carry many different asian products and produce. Although the majority is chinese, there are thai, viatnamese, korean, japanese and indian products, too. I don't think I have seen a 100% japanese store till now.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese grocery store

Asian restaurants I've seen mentioned in food blogs:

Vietnamese: Mekong, Via Enea 56/a (Tuscolana)

Korean: Gainn, Via dei Mille 18 (Termini)

Chinese: F&B, Via Giolitti 105/113 (Termini) Reportedly has off-menu Chinese dishes.

Thai: Sukhothai,Via Andrea Busiri Vici 48/50 (Monteverde)

Japanese: Hasekura, Via dei Serpenti 27 (Monti)

Presumably, any of them would be prepared to tell you where they source their ingredients.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japanese grocery store

As mentioned above, there are lots of little groceries around Piazza Vittorio. Some are Chinese-owned, some Korean, but in all cases I think they sell all types of Asian products. Via Emanuele Filiberto has a Korean one on the first block from the Piazza. There are a few on Carlo Alberto right off the Piazza too, as well as some in the actual Portico section on this side of the Piazza. You won't have any problem finding something in this area, in general.

Angelo/LivItaly Tours

6. Re: Japanese grocery store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:42