We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

Hi everyone,

We will have arrived into Rome on the evening of May 30th. Just myself and my 11 year old son. He has issues with his knees/legs so excessive walking is something I want to limit, especially on the days we are visiting the Colosseum and also the Vatican.

Our first full day on the thursday 31st May, is at his choice, the day we are visiting the Colosseum.

We are booked in to the Underground and 3rd tier tour at 940am

We are staying in an apartment on Vicolo Del Fico nr Piazza Navona.

My question is ~ (sorry for the length but wanted to give info lol)

I understand according to google, its about a 30 min walk over to the Colosseum, and while this is nice, I want to avoid that walk so that we can spend the day walking at the Colosseum / Forum / Palantine ~ this is all we have planned so far for the day, so thinking of jumping on a bus or whatever form of public transport would get us over there.

Can someone please advise, the best route for us to take and where the best place to get on is?

I've had a quick look at the atac website but am struggling to get it to show pictures for some odd reason.

Also, we are having the tour at 940am and will wander around afterwards, from here which is our best bet for the right order to wander around at the Forum and Palantine Hill in terms of limiting the amount of walking? We will just be wandering around here . . .and will at some point want to grab some quick lunch between one of the places ~

(thinking we may come back in the morning of our second day to look around Trajans Market area if we don't feel like walking around in the afternoon)

We are not overly Museum people and churches don't particularly appeal either, so we are happy to wander around in the area we are in, but if I can limit the amount of walking to get to these places that would be even better (and will avoid too much leg pain to enable us to do our "walking around" day on saturday)

Thanks so much, in advance to anyone who can help

Kind regards, Kat x

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

From Piazza del Fico, walk to Piazza Zanardelli (about 275 yards) and take the No. 87 bus direction Largo Colli Albani eight stops and get off at Colosseo. (The ATAC site doesn't have pictures; are you not seeing the maps - route maps and stop maps?

The entrance to the Palatine on Via San Gregorio is closer to the Colosseum than the entrance to the Roman Forum (off Via dei Fori Imperiali, opposite Via Cavour). The Palatine covers a large area, but a lot of it is flat, and it has the advantage of shady spots.

From the Palatine, it's downhill to the Forum (they're interconnected), and there's an exit at the height of the Arch of Titus. Rather than a quick lunch, I'd suggest a long, leisurely one. The places on Piazza del Colosseo are mostly terrible rip-off joints. Consider going to a place often recommended here, La Piazzetta on Vicolo del Buon Consiglio, not very far from the entrance to the Forum.

Then, after lunch, use your ticket to enter the Forum.

This is a good clickable map of the Forum/Palatine/Colosseum area:

http://www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm

Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

Here is a good interactive map of the downtown area of Rome. It shows useful public lines routes, taxi stands, POI, Ho-Ho Stops and all those things that should help you move around Rome. maps.google.com/maps/ms…

It is a work in progress, so if you have suggestions on how to improve it please pass them on privately.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

Zerlina, thank you for taking the time to answer, the bus will be perfect! And no, the maps aren't loading for me at the moment, I don't know why. . .

how long should we allow for the bus time as it will be around 830am ish . . .

I will check out the recommendation for lunch too :) we will have plenty of time to wander around that area, I don't know if our legs/feet will cope with checking out the Trajans market on this day too . . .

Smartcruisetours, thank you for the link, I'm viewing on a tiny netbook with 7" screen so as such, the map is hard for me to read as there's so much on there . . .but I will certainly check it out when I have access to a bigger screen.

We are going to the Vatican under the stars on the friday evening, so if need be, we can always head back to this area to do anything with our ticket that we missed on the first day . . .

If anyone else has any tips of the best way to do things, it is sincerely appreciated.

Kindest regards, Kat

4. Re: Our "Colosseum" day . . .help with travel/planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:41