We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

My son is travelling with a school group next week to Italy and wll be in Rome on his birthday. I would like to treat the entire school group to a gelato that day and am wondering approximately what a small cup/cone of gelato might cost so I can send enough $ with the chaperones.

Thanks for any info!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

it will depend on whether they eat it standing up or on the go -- at Giolitti for example, to take it on the go a small cup or cone is approx 2-3 euros, sitting down it will be triple at least.

Most places charge a premium to sit down.

Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

Thank you penny07! I knew about the premium for sitting down, I should have said they would be taking it "to go!" LOL. This info helps a lot. Thanks again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

A small gelato in Rome should cost around €1.50 to €2, but to be safe, count €3.

A small gelato is pretty small. You might want to go for a medium gelato, which would be more, maybe €3 to €4.

carolinas
Level Contributor
219 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

I am here now and going for gelato ( the next of many) in a few minutes. A small is 2 scoops /€2.50; a medium is 3 scoops/€3,00 all over the center. Cup or cone the same price and free whipped cream. Yum!!!

Frank

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

they don't charge by the scoop, you can get as many as 3 flavors in a small -- they just put smaller amts of each flavor to fit the size of the cup/cone---and whipped cream is free!!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

Whipped cream isn't always free.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

I have NEVER paid for whipped cream in Italy - I eat gelato every day when I am there! :-)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

Penny, l try and eat it 3 times a day, LOL, it is sooooo good. Hubie

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

ColoradoSnowMom3,

Whatever you decide to sent with the chaperones, I'd suggest you tell them to make sure the person in the gelato shop knows they will be paying x amount for x number of students so there are no surprises when you pay. In some places, like 3 Scalini on the Piazza Navona, you pay first and then take the receipt to the counter to order. The sizes and prices are usually displayed on the counter or on a shelf in the back.

I had extra fondente and pistacchio today. ;^)

TAB

Edited: 19 May 2012, 16:29
10. Re: Wanting to treat school group to gelato... amt $ to send?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2012, 15:58