We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Vatican

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Vatican

Soes anyone have an estimate as to how long it will take to walk from the train station to the Vatican.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Vatican

Go to google maps. It will give you not only a route but an estimate of time.

NY
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Vatican

You don't say which train station, but why not take the Metro to nearby the Vatican? If Termini, it is walkable like most places in Rome but not very close and it could be tiring. My guess from Termni walking is between 1-2 hours depending on your walking speed and whether you can find most effecient route (not necessarily as the crow flies), some can do it faster.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Vatican

about 50 minutes if you don't stop. you can search any walking directions by using google maps.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Vatican

Don't walk. Save your energy for when you get there: St. Peter's Basilica is huge, and the corridors of the Vatican Museums go on for miles.

NY
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Vatican

Yes, from Termini it is about 3 miles and estimates are about 1 hour, but keep in mind this means each mile in 20 minutes, which is a good pace if you can keep it up, and I think it would take a little longer considering you have to cross traffic streets and if you make a wrong turn or two, but still doable.

Still, I would save my walking energy for inside the Vatican and for other parts of Rome where walking is the only way to see places. The Metro is cheap.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 20:52
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Vatican

Yeah, it will take at least an hour. I agree that you should save your strength for Visiting the museums and basilica. If you want to walk it do it after the visit on the way back.

Donna

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Vatican

Any fit person should be able to manage to walk to the Vatican and enjoy the museums. There are plenty of places to rest within. Lots of benches and a cafe or two to rest and recharge. Walking is good for you and enables you to discover the city in a very special way.

It is an easy 50-55 minute walk from the Termini. If you are in good health and want to stay fit while you travel, then go for it. You would have to be in pretty bad shape to find a walk to the Vatican and then a visit to the museum overwhelming. Don't most of us work out for 45 mins to an hour a few times a week and manage to get on with the rest of our day without collapsing into a heap? :)

Have fun and walk it!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Vatican

I would walk it. Yes the Vatican is huge, but if you take your time, it shouldn't be a problem. Don't put a time limit on it, that's all. A few years ago, I caught the metro from Termini to the Vatican, walked around there for a few hours, then walked from the Vatican down to the Colosseum, did a tour there and then eventually back to my hotel near Termini. I made a full day of it, took my time walking and had a really good look around. I wouldn't call myself superfit or anything, but most of us walk a lot on holidays anyway, so you should be fine. Like I said, take your time, wander, discover. You never know what you will stumble upon.

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Vatican

I am reasonably fit but I have sensitive feet. I would not walk it considering how much walking you will be doing in the museum itself.I do not enjoy myself when my feet hurt. As others have said, you can walk back if you are not worn out.Of course, you know your abilities so you will have to decide. Also, if your schedule is tight there may be things you would rather do with that hour.Walking around is a good way to see the city, but if you have limited time and specific sights you want to see, that may not be the best use of time. It isn't the walk which is doable for most of us, but the amount of time you will be walking around the Vatican and the museum. You could easily be on your feet for the whole day.Do you want to do that?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Vatican

We used the underground to get to the Vatican and walked back it is worth it ,to save time and energy. Just a word of warning, it is busy at termini and this is where we saw 2 'ladies' pickpocket young a Chinese tourist , they hang about the door area to make a quick escape at the next station.