We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport with a baby help needed

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northen ireland
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
public transport with a baby help needed

i am travelling to rome for 1 day from a cruise and getting dropped off in the vatican city area we would like to see the following (3 adults and a 1 year old)

either st peters basilica or sistine chapel/museums

coloseum (only want photographs from outside)

trevi fountain (photo stop want to throw a penny in )

spanish steps (optional)

we have approximately 7 hours in rome im still undecided on whether or not i really have time for the museums/chapel and may just do st peters basilica as i have posted another thread on this forum

What would be the best method of getting around these sites bus/train ? can you tell me which stops are nearby how to go about getting tickets will it be ok with a buggy etc any maps with the stations marked on them would be perfect

or

how expensive would a taxi be? not to sure of this method tho as i have no car seat?

would you suggest a hop on hop off tour? (ive read reviews they are not very reliable)

northen ireland
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

the real question i am asking here is metro or bus with a pram buggy which is going to be less busy i dont mind walking a bit to get to the metro stations as i know they are blocks away from the site also is it easy to change at the main terminal on the metro?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

The beauty of the bus in Rome is that you don't have to fold the stroller to get on.... Hopefully you have a small stroller and you have to hope for buses that are not crowded. As far as the metro goes, for me it was always too much up and down the stairs to handle the stroller, and I never felt comfortable with the escalator.

Since you are in Rome for only a few hours, I would take a cab or two. The car seat I think is more of an issue if you are driving on a fast highway.... Just make sure you strap the child by himself in the seat belt and tell the driver "va piano perfavore con il/la bimbo/a!!!"

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

Vatican Museum to TrevI -Metro A fron Ottaviano to Barberini

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

ST Peter Basilica to Trevi- Bus 62

Vatican Museum to Colosseum -Bus 81

Colosseum to Trevi Fountain -Bus 117 northward

northen ireland
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

One last question to get a taxi from Vatican city to the colloseum would be how much approximately?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

Depending on traffic conditions, about 15 eu (plus or minus 3 euros)

Edited: 24 May 2012, 14:02
6. Re: public transport with a baby help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:15