We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

los angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

I am looking to book a one day tour in Rome from a Cruise ship. I came across smartcruisetours.com that is not currently rated on tripadvisor. Has anyone used them and have any feedback?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

They are a new company and I don't know of anyone who has used them. You can contact romecabs.com for transfers and city tours as they are a very reliable company and get very high praise on this and other forums but honestly, it's very easy to get to and from Rome on your own and then join a tour if you wish. It really depends on what you want to see.

Donna

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

In this Forum, look to your right for Top Questions. As Donna states, it's very easy to do yourself.

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

Hi we used them last week, we have just got back from the RC adventures of the sea, I found this company on-line, they are really great and professional, Julia from Smart tours even called me a few times and e-mailed to assist me with my booking. we were going to do there tour around Rome, but it was not running the day we went, therefore we booked a transfer from the Port to Rome (Vatican city). At the port a lady was waiting for us and took us to a car, we were the only ones that day so we had a driver and car for ourselves and only paid 59Euros that was for 2 adults and 2 4 year olds, would definately use again, they arrange other trips also.

We paid through paypal, was really straight forward, we did all the ports of call our own way as the ship was charging a fortune for the excursions.

Somebody else on the site did the excursion and really enjoyed it.

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

HI should of wrote Smart Cruise tours , not Smart tours.

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

We used them from a Celebrity Cruise and definitely DO NOT recommend them. Since we had been in Rome before, we did not expect a guide to hold our hand every step of the way but even being familiar with Rome, this tour was sadly lacking. For someone who has never been in Rome before, it could be a disaster. Rome was extremely busy when we were there with streets and all tourist areas very crowded. At the Coliseum, the bus stopped and the guide got off with some unclear instructions about when and where to meet the bus and then he took off down the street with his little flag waving in the air. We have no physical issues but could barely stay within sight of his little flag due to all the congestion in the area. We were told we would stop for lunch later but never did so people eventually started grabbing gelato or pizza here or there but that was problematic since if you stopped for even a couple of minutes, you knew you might lose the group. His commentary was not all that interesting or informative ( that was not particularly important to us but very well may be for others). He did not seem concerned about whether the group stayed together or found the meeting point. In the afternoon we were dropped off at the Vatican with even more vague instructions about where to meet. When we were finally headed back to the port, we were thankful we actually made it back to the bus. It would have been much easier and cheaper to visit Rome totally on our way by taking the train from the port and using public transportation in the city as well. I would absolutely avoid this company for any future travel needs.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

mitravel206,

I am sorry and surprised to hear your comments.

We took a smartcruisetours guided bus tour or Rome in May and found the exact opposite of what you are saying.

I am thinking that you had a different guide to us, ours was a lady, and she was very good indeed.

I understand what you are saying about Rome being very crowded, but everyone in our party was able to keep up, and we all had a stop off with some time for lunch.

Hope the rest of your cruise was great though.

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

I'm glad to hear that your tour met your expectations and yes, our cruise was absolutely wonderful! The issues in Rome did not in any way ruin our vacation but it ended up being pretty much a wasted day. My husband and I both commented that if this had been our first trip to Rome, we would never have wanted to return (and we love Rome!) The fact that it was very busy in Rome is no one's fault but only made it more important for the tour guide to be very clear about when and where we should return to the bus. If only he had done that, we could have explored a bit on our own; however, since several attempts to clarify were unsuccessful, our only option was to tag along trying not to lose sight of him without really stopping to see anything. Truthfully the only time we had the freedom to enjoy anything was when we gave up on going into St. Peter's and went into a few neighborhood shops and grabbed pizza and gelato (the best we had on the entire trip!). A day in Rome just should be so much more!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

I agree about the guide needing to be clear.

If I could find fault with our tour, it was that sometimes we struggled to hear our guide, Rome is VERY busy and noisy isnt it ?

I was thinking perhaps that smartcruisetours could maybe get some of those devices you see some other guides have, where the guide speaks in to a microphone and people on the tour have receivers and headphones.

They are a new company though and for the price we couldnt complain.

Glad to hear you had a great cruise, are there any bad ones lol ??!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

Thank you for everyone's feedback. I did book a tour with them in 3 weeks. Julia has been very helpful in returning my emails, calling me and giving me several tour options. She also forwarded a link from cruisecritic.com where they got a good review as well. So, it sounds like the tour guide makes a difference. I might contact her now and double check who we have. Incidentally, this may need to go on another forum, but any suggestions for tours in Livorno from a cruise ship?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours in Rome from a cruise ship

Plenty.

Can you post on the cruise forums please ?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruise…

Thanks.