We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Museum Tour

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
315 posts
367 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Museum Tour

I was wondering is the tour offered by the Jewish Museum worth it. I see it includes 2 synagoges, does it include the ghetto too? Does anyone know how long the tour lasts? Do you need a tour of the ghetto or is it something you can figure out on your own?

THANKS!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

The Jewish Museum Tour is conducted in the large edifice that includes the Tempio Maggiore (Great Synagogue) and, at present, at least one other synagogue space. So those are the two synagogues that are visited ---- within the building. Plus the museum rooms that house some of the artifacts important to the history of the Roman Jewish community.

The tour doesn't include the Ghetto area, but I see on the Museum website that there is an organization that runs guided walks around the Ghetto. It's not that big an area, and in my opinion you don't need the tour, you could just look at a guidebook beforehand to find out some of the history of particular buildings. And there are plaques on several of the buildings. But then again, I am not a fan of tours and this one could be well worth it with a well informed guide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
315 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

Do you know how long the museum tour lasts? No where on the website does it say.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

With tours hourly, I'd guess they're slightly shorter than that?

http://www.museoebraico.roma.it/

One of the few places giving young non-EU kids free entry!

Reviews here...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187791-…

And, despite the "Those easily offended by security guards should reset expectations and consider the context" comment - and a "No Photography" rule - it's still on our list.... just in too much of a hurry to wait the last time we passed by:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/rome_11_11&page=2

Peter

PS: For a walk through the area, try the 4th one in this little pamphlet - issued by the tourist board some years ago now:

Selected walks through Rome

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/77.pdf

Edited: 25 May 2012, 10:26
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

ssbelltx, If you are touring outside Rome, look into the town of Pitigliano. It's west of Orvieto and north of Rome. It has a unique location and a unique Jewish history.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pitigliano
Pitigliano
Province of Grosseto, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Teaneck, New Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

Yes, TOTALLY worth it. My son (19) and I went just last Sunday. You can walk through the museum yourself and pretty much understand things--there are explanatory cards near almost everything; or you can get a guide for the museum. To get into the synagogue, however, you will need a guide--just ask them when you pay to enter. It's very much worth seeing. The guides are knowledgeable and personable and you will get both an historical perspective as well as an insight into what it's like there today. Groups form pretty regularly but I don't actually know what the schedule is. You must go through security to enter the grounds, but it was not offensive or extreme in any way. We did not take a "tour" of the Ghetto (but we did manage to eat lunch there in one of the many kosher restaurants). I've heard that Michaela Pavoncello (www.jewishroma.com) gives excellent tours, but I have no first-hand knowledge.

6. Re: Jewish Museum Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:16