We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

W K
Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

My fiance and I will be visiting Rome in early July. How do we get from the city to Capocotta Beach for a day trip? Is there a train or a bus that we can take?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

According to google maps, it's about 8 km from the last train stop of Lido di Ostia (castel fusano) which is too long to walk, but maybe there is a bus that goes up and down the coast?

To get to Castel Fusano, you can take the Lido di Ostia train from the Ostiense train station in Rome and it takes about 30-40 minutes.

Hopefully someone else can fill in the blank for you.......

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

That is my beach.

* From whereever you are in central Rome, go to the Piramide station (by metro B or bus, for example 30, 87)

* take the Ostia Lido train from there (NOT from Ostiense train station) till the last stop (Cristoforo Colombo).

* from there, take the 07, 070 or 61 bus (mare or torvagliano destinations). It will stop at a couple of non descript stops, then at each of the 8 "cancelli" (numbered 1-8) - the one after 8, called "varco 1" officially (but everyone will understand if you say capocotta or dar zagaia, too) is the one where you want to get off.

All of this travel is included in the 1-use ticket (for 1,50) you start your journey with. For the return, you need a new one.

Definitely have lunch at dar zagaia - simple but great fish cooking.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 11:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

Hey wine-gal, just a quick question --- I thought Piramide and Ostiense were 2 stations under one "roof"?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,709 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

I haven't been there for some time, but if I remember correctly, they're more or less under one roof, but it's a bit of a walk from one to the other.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 12:26
rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

ostiense is a "real" train station (lacking another word for it) and the Ostia train (which is more like a metro train) doesn't stop there. it is also a rather long walk, and unnecessary - buses have a stop for both, and it wouldn't make sense to get off at ostiense and then walk to piramide (where you get the ostia train), and the metro stops only at piramide - you just ride the escalators up, turn left, and have the Ostia train in front of you. But, to clear it up for you, yes, you can walk from the Piramide station to the Ostiense station after you get off the metro, too.

W K
Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

Thanks for the info! We'll be sure and check it out.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

The station of the Roma/Lido and the main hall of the metro B station Piramide are under the same roof, looking both onto Piazzale Ostiense (in front of the Pyramid). The Ostiense railway station looks onto Piazzale dei Partigiani which is 200 metres far from Piazzale Ostiense (and has a secondary exit to Piazzale XII Ottobre); the platforms where the trains of the metro B stop are between the two spots, so getting off at Piramide one can choose if going to the end to Piazzale Ostiense or to the end to Piazzale dei Partigiani.

Buses like 30, 175, 630... stop in both Piazzale Ostiense and Piazzale dei Partigiani.

I think that naming the same way all the three stations, the one of the Roma/Lido (which is actually called Porta San Paolo - permitting to be confused with San Paolo Basilica!), the metro station and the railway station would be brilliant. Apparently there is something more important to deal with...

W K
Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

Thanks, Wine Gal.

Those were great instructions. Do you know where we go to reach the clothing optional part of Capocotta once we arrive?

Thanks!

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

when you enter the beach, go a little bit to the left.

10. Re: How to get to Capocotta Beach from Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:40