We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

We will be spending a couple of nights in Rome after spending 3 weeks between Tuscany, Umbria and Campania. We have both been to Rome twice already so we don't feel the need to stay in the heart of the city. We want to stay on the west side of Rome for quicker access to the airport in the morning for our flight to Amsterdam.

The last time we were in Rome I think we ended up walking through Trastevere and loved the feel of it. Would you please recommend other similar neighborhoods? Here is our wish list:

Quiet neighborhood (I don't sleep well, even with ear plugs)

Within walking distance to take the bus/train to the airport

A nice range of casual eateries and places to grab a drink

Some budget to midrange accommodations available

Within 30 minutes to the Coliseum

We don't need a lot of amenities such as onsite restaurant, tv, et. We will just use our room as a place to sleep and be out and about most of the time. Under USD $150 would be ideal, however, would be willing to go higher for the right place. Suggestions on specific accommodations are also welcome but mostly want reco's for neighborhoods to stay in.

Thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

Any locals out there who can help answer this question? Thanks!

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

You might take a look at stayng around the area of the Largo Argentina, in the old Jewish quarter. Some places there you might look up and read reviews for are:

Residenza Gens Julia

BB Reginella

Pensione Barrett

Domus Roma

Sweetly Home Roma

Domus Ester

Read the reviews carefully to make sure they talk about quiet. Sometimes people will suggest asking specifically for a "back room" or something to ensure quiet.

If you can afford a hotel, then also look at Hotel Ponte Sisto and Hotel Teatro di Pompeo. (Likewise read reviews.)

To get to the airport from that neighborhood, you will probably want to take a bus or Tram to Termini (not hard to do) or simply take a reserved car, with a flat rate.

Another area where you can look is the Monti area, but I think it is harder to find accommodations there. Here's some leads, but you really need to look up reviews:

bbitalia.it/en/…quartiere-monti.html

bed-and-breakfast.it/mappalocalita_lista.cfm…

Hotel Forum also might work for you if you ask for a room in the back.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

I like the Ghetto neighborhood myself. I've stayed at the Arenula hotel, which is nice, but has no elevator. I've also stayed at La Lunetta, which is nearer to Campo de'Fiori, but still on a quiet piazza. La Lunetta has been renovated since I stayed there, and is now more expensive.

When I stayed in that area, I found that the fastest way to the airport was to take the number 8 tram to Trastevere station, and catch the FR1 airport train there. It's also cheaper than the Leonardo Express from Termini.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

I don't think staying on the west side of Rome will get you to FCO faster: the options are the SITbusshuttle from Piazza Cavour, which is inexpensive but takes longer than a train, or a train from Roma San Pietro, with a change at Roma Trastevere, which is a nuisance. Prati, though, is a reasonably quiet residential area, but it's not within 30 minutes of the Colosseum.

The historic center, as suggested, or Trastevere are options. Neither is a particularly quiet neighborhood, but both have quiet corners or accommodations with quiet rooms. Nor is either a particularly inexpensive area.

You could also consider something in the Testaccio/Aventine neighborhood, near but not necessarily within walking distance of Roma Ostiense, where you can also take the FR1 to FCO. Again, exercise caution in choosing: parts of Testaccio are a nightlife center.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

Thanks for the replies!

Good point Zerlina. So Prati would be a good neighborhood to get straight to the airport with ease? Not too important if it takes longer to get to the Coliseum. We both have been there twice so maybe we won't visit it this time and just explore some lesser visited neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

Prati is a great neighborhood but would not be the best choice if you want to get to the airport quickly. Piazza Cavour is on the edge of Prati closer to the center and it's a large neighborhood.

For best access to the airport - Testaccio: you can get to the airport from Ostiense station

Or Trastevere: airport from Trastevere station which can be reached very easily with the #8 tram.

7. Re: Quiet Neighborhood on West Side of Rome, Please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:16