We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

We want to get the most out of our visit to the Forum and Colosseum in July. (2 adults one 17 year old). Many have recommended a tour guide to get in front of the lines and really enjoy the experience. The cost for a well-recommended private guide is $150 euros plus admission (total about $300 dollars) Is it worth it?

Love reading all the advice on this forum!!!!!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

I, personally, don't think it's worth that price but it depends on how you like to tour and what you want to get out of it. You can book a tour of the colosseum underground which also gets you entry into the forum and palatine hill for 21 euros each. I like visiting the forum with an audio guide. It lets me go at my own pace and fit it into my schedule where I want it to be. Also, if I get tired I can always sit for as long as I wish and not worry about my time ticking away. Also, if you do some reading up on the sites you'll be visiting that helps a lot.

Dona

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

You don't need a tour guide to go to the front of the line at the Colosseum. There are three other ways to skip the line.

1. Buy your tickets at the Roman Forum or Palatine Hill, which usually don't have much of a line. If you're going in the summer, you should go first to the Roman Forum, as soon as it opens at 9 AM, because this is the place that gets hottest. Buy your ticket there and see the Roman Forum before it heats up. Pass through to the greener and shadier Palatine Hill, and exit by the Palatine Hill entrance, which is near the Colosseum. The Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill all count as a single admission, and you can visit each of them once over two days.

2. If you plan to use public transportation a fair amount, and if you'll be visiting one or more of the other museum and archaeological sites of Rome (other than the Vatican Museums, which are not in Rome), you might consider buying the Roma Pass., which costs 30 euros. For three calendar days, it gives you two free admissions, reduced prices on all the other museums and archaeological sites, and unlimited rides on the buses, metros, and trams. There is a special entrance at the Colosseum for Roma Pass holders. Again, the three sites (Forum, Palatine, Colosseum) count as one entrance and can be visited over two days.

3. If you don't think you'll get your money's worth from the Roma Pass, and if you don't want any risk at all of having to wait in a line, you can buy your tickets online at

pierreci.it/home-page/…colosseo.aspx

I don't think you really need a guide at the Colosseum. Read up about it in a guide book (or on Wikipedia). There are excellent signs with explanations in Italian and English inside the Colosseum. A guide would be more useful at the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill.

You can also download free audio tours for your smart phone or mp3 player at:

ricksteves.com/news/…rome_downloads.htm

I downloaded the Colosseum one for my nieces and thought it was well done.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 19:31
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

Great answers and I appreciate it. I will follow this advice and skip the expensive tour guide. Thank very much.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

IMO, a tour guide or some sort of a gued experience will be much more interesting and meaningful to you and your 17 year old. It is expensive, I understand, but this does not make it not worth it. Perhaps try one of the small group touring companies which do exceptional job with a group of eight to 10 people, e.g., Rome Walks, Context Rome, Through Millennium. It should be less expensive then a private guide.

http://www.romewalks.com/

Here you go. It appears that they offer a discount if you book several walks with them.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 02:31
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

There were two adults and 4 teens , when we went to the colisseum. We hired a tour guide Aldo from Your tour in italy. It was so wonderful, We have been before without a guide. The guide held my teens interest, with fun facts as well as history. I was so much better than doing it on our own. Well worth it! You could try share a shore excursion in italy website. They still have small tours,but with smaller prices.

6. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 07:11
Indiana
Level Contributor
464 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

Rick Steves has a free downloadable audio tours of the Forum and Colisseum with maps and pictures included. No internet required once downloaded. But of course, this would require ipod, ipads or another device. http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm . If nothing else you can go through it at home and see if it's not something you can navigate on your own. Not to mention it gets me excited about my trip!

Tammy

Edited: 03 June 2012, 17:58
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

Rick Steve's audio tours can be played on all sorts of devices, not just iGadgets, including any smart phone, and most old 2nd generation phones, and very old mp3 players. When my three nieces visited us, I downloaded some of the Rick Steves tours for them. Only one of them had a device that would play them, but we found several old devices sitting in drawers around our house. I'm sure most people have drawers that are graveyards of superannuated digital devices.

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

Hi, we visited the Colosseum today with the marvellous Daniella Hunt from Mirabilia Urbis tours. Our party consisted of myself, my husband and our 15 year old son. I, too, went through the dilemma of whether to book a private tour or go it alone. I am so pleased we decided to book Daniella. She really made the Colosseum come alive for us, and captivated my son with her stories and anecdotes of life in Rome. My husband, who is something of an historian, also learned a lot and had fun at the same time! Daniella guided us around the Colosseum and the Forum. The whole tour took 4 hours, was educational, energetic and absorbing. She charged 70Euros per hour, and will book all your tickets in advance. She also gave great advice on timings for the tour, to avoid the heat of the sun and to make the most of the time booked with her. I'm just disappointed that she was already booked tomorrow, otherwise she'd be guiding us around the Vatican museums! Her website is at www.rome-tours.com. Hope you have a great time!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Collosseum: Tour Guide vs. on our own

I've also toured the Roman Forum with Daniela Hunt. As I said before, the Roman Forum is one place where a good guide is valuable. The Palatine Hill is another. I don't think a guide is as important for the Colosseum, which has good explanatory signs.