We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in July

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome in July

Hello,

I know it is going to be very warm in July but it is the only time I can go ! I would like to know, from your experience is it still possible to enjoy your time there ?

I like to walk a lot, so I guess early in the morning is a better time ?

In the afternoon is it still possible to find shady areas ? In the evening, does it usually cool down enough to to do some walking ?

Thank you,

Cinquelune

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in July

we were there around the 9th of july , two years ago. It was really reallly really really hot,even at night. Still in high 80's at night. We brought those small fans ,you can buy at walmart or the dollar store. battery powered fits on a key ring or in your pocket and that helped. We drank alot of water,seeked out shade whenever possible.(the major sites have little or no shade, and it really didnt matter anyway,it was stil hot!)) During the day it hovered in the mid 90's. Even though we started our tours at 8am, it was still blazing hot. thank goodness we had some private cars, it gave us time to go into an air conditoned car and cool off. hope this helps

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in July

July 2011, on the other hand, was pretty chilly. for a good part of the month. My daughter was attending a symposium there all month, and she had to borrow some warmer clothing from me.

July is often quite warm, but the nights can be chilly even when the days are hot. I always bring a light sweater with me to Rome.

When it's very hot, you should try to do as much as possible of your outdoor touring early in the morning. Try to stay in a central location with good air conditioning. Then, do as the Italians do; return to the hotel after lunch and take a nap in the hottest part of the day. After your nap, visit museums and churches; the museums are mostly air conditioned, and the churches are relatively cool inside. In the early evening, it usually is cool enough for walks. Drink lots of water, and take it easier. Rushing around is never a good idea in Rome, but especially not when it's hot.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in July

I have been there in July for the last 4 years and going again this year , yes its hot but drink lots of water and bring sun block and you will be fine, just stay out of the sun from noon till 2pm and you will escape the worst of the sun ,

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in July

Don't worry - yes it will be hot, but as long as you drink plenty of the water from the numerous fountains, and taps which you find in the streets, you will be fine! Also, you can find shade in the beautiful churches and museums. Most shops are air conditioned. Make sure to have comfortable shoes too!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in July

The other posts all gave you good info: make sure your accommodation has air conditioning; do your touring in the morning, then take a siesta or be in an air conditioned museum or seek out churches for the hottest part of the day; bring a hat, sun block, and water bottle and stay hydrated; seek out shade whenever possible. Go out again in the evening when it gets cooler; look for restaurants with air conditioning (often these are the ones with their doors closed). If you are staying in an apartment with a freezer, fill your water bottle no more than 3/4 full (so it doesn't expand and break) and you'll have nice cold water through the morning. I second the suggestion about comfortable shoes, and would add that you will want shoes that are adjustable/stretchy. In very high heat and with walking all day, some people may find that their feet swell significantly.

6. Re: Rome in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 05:16