We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

Bakersfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

We are going to Venice, then Rome August 9th-15th. We would love to see an Opera or two. Any suggestions? I looked online and found Teatro di Marcello: Roman Nights for Rome, and Musica a Palazzo in Venice, Barbarigo Minotto Palace. Are these my best bets? Any additional information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! It's our first visit to Italy.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

I don't know of any operas at the Teatro di Marcello, although they do have concerts there, of a very high quality. There is summer opera in the Baths of Caracalla. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? If so, unfortunately, their summer opera season ends on August 8th.

Musica al Palazzo isn't traditional opera. It's a group that puts on opera performances nearly every day of the year, with performers who are mostly students or other lesser-known singers. The performance takes place in various rooms of a palazzo, with the performers and audience moving from room to room. The operas performed are among the most popular, and the music is probably of good quality, but this is opera for tourists, without doubt.

Bakersfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

Thank you for the clarification.

We just wish we had more time there!

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

Go to www.classictic.com you can put in your dates and the city, anything that's on will come up.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

I've been looking for opera options for Rome, Florence or Venice and have found it a challenge. Thanks for the tip about www.classictic.com. It's been so helpful!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

I'd like to clarify that many of the opera options that come up for classictic.com are opera excerpts, or concert versions, or selections of arias, not full staged operas. What I said about Musica al Palazzo in my reply number 1 above applies to all of these options. In addition, many of them are held in churches, which aren't air conditioned and whose pews don't really have the sight lines of a theatre. I suggest you try to find out a bit about the performers and the organization putting on these operas before deciding whether to get tickets.

There are regular opera seasons in Rome, Florence, and Venice, but the season is in the fall and winter months. Many visitors to Italy want to see opera in the summer, when the best choices are various opera festivals.

There are a few places in Italy putting on first-rate summer opera. The Operas at the Arena in Verona and the summer opera in the Baths of Caracalla are among the best options. I'm sure there are others that I'm less familiar with. Then there are local organizations with summer opera festivals that may not have the most famous singers, but do put on high quality fully staged operas. In Le Marche, where I live, there is a summer Rossini festival in Pesaro, and a festival in Macerata. Other regions have similar festivals.

Bakersfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

Thank you for the clarification.

We just wish we had more time there!

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

I'm also going to Rome on the 9th -13th for my Anniversary , was their 5 years ago and we went along to one of the churches to see some opera singers and it was very moving , Like you I'm looking to see whats happening when I'm there ..... I love Rome very romantic city .

Have a great time

8. Re: Opera in Rome Aug 2012?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15