We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Rome

Arriving in Rome we firstly had trouble finding the car rental drop off place - a truck was parked in the way of the street entry and of course we missed it and then we were faced with one streets. Finally made it and the europcar attendant was very pleasant and rang us a axi it get to our accommodation near Piazza Narvona. Unfortunately our taxi driver had attitude and we had a hair raising ride to our B&B. Yes I realise there are a lot of mad drivers in Rome but this taxi driver - wow. Anyway we survived and were dropped at one end of our street so dragged our large luggage up and down looking for our accommodation. I will do a review of the accommodation later but for now let's say what we had booked had been changed and required 2 flights of stairs. So our arrival in Rome (our 2nd time) was rather stressful. Not being the type to let this spoil the rst of the day, we headed out and decided to do a hoho bus to take the stress out of having to think about the rst of the day. Not so - the 5 min walk to the Stop, as indicated by the seller turned into 20 and then we could see the Coliseum in the distance which was where we were going to get off. So we walked the rst of the way. We hasn't planned to go in just to let our friends see it. We did however decide to do the underground tour so rang the number and were able to book for two days later - you are able to pick up tickets from reservation desk inside the Coliseum - no need to wait n the queue, just ask one of the assistants and they show you where to go.

We then got on the hoho bus and went to St peters where again we weren't planning on going in just showing our frends- but there was no queue so we decided to go in. We went through the security check point first then when we got to the next point a guy was looking at me shaking his had when I suddenly remembered you need your shoulders covered. For 3 weeks we had been travelling I had carried a cardigan or light jacket in my bag "just in case" - but not today . So another plan foiled. Rome was proving to be hard work.

Day 2 we decided to do a free walking tour which my daughter had suggested. It starts at the Spanish steps and finishes at St Peters. It was quite good except it was very difficult to understand with the

guide's strong accent. It takes 2 hours. As we ended at StP I thought I would like to do the Sistine chapel as we had missed doing that on our previous visit to Rome. I confirmed with the guide on where we ad to go for that and was glad because she pointed us in a different direction to what I was thinking. Yes you guessed it that was the wrong way - so we walked from one side of the square then had to go back that way again( the q to StP was assive), so then I was worred the whole walk that the q to SC would be huge. Finally something going our way - no q and a great visit o the museum an h Chapel. Amazing, although crowded. I also can't believe how disrespectful peoplrpe can be, having been given instructions on no photos and silence- no one Takes any notice?

Anyway, my friend and I decided to follow ths with some much awaited shopping. Our husbands bailed. By the end Of the day we had walked a total of 6+ hours and archly had the energy to make it up those 2 flights of stairs.

Day 3- still having heavy legs from previous day, we decided to use our hoho tickets. It doesn't take long to be over the hoho bus - we were on the first bus and even though there was little traffic- it had to wait at every stop because it was ahead of time. We got off at piazza Venezia and wandered aroun the Roman forum ruins - it was quite hot today so really hard to push yourself. We found a non tourist pace to have lunch before our underground tour at the Coliseum. We had a great guide and I thoroughly recommend the tour. We were so exhausted and hot after the tour we decided to had back for a siesta before finishing our short stay tonight in Rome. Rome is interesting and so much to see - but it is hard work!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Rome

It doesn't have to be hard work.

I hope if you are still there, which I can't tell from your report, that your time gets easier and you are able to relax and enjoy it more.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Rome

You didn't want it to be all easy did you, you had one of our trips. The good thing is in six months it will all be funny, haha, and will all be great memories. So glad it almost all worked out good for you. Hubie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Rome

Ah well, not the best start, but you are smiling through. I remember my feet after the first day in Rome. I wanted to slay husband and son for blithely walking on while I hobbled along with blisters. But Rome is Rome and worth some effort.

It was in Rome that I developed the mantra "Let's rent a view" and we would sit at a table with a view on something awesome (in this case the Pantheon) with a beer or icecream and to hell with the expense as we rested those feet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Rome

Don't worry - we are still smiling - we can't believe we were all still talking after that first morning arrival!! Haha I think it was weird how the previous 3 weeks had gone so smoothly - I guess we were due for some bumps. We are leaving Rome today - on our way to a relaxed Santorini I hope!! Thx for posting. Gblyn

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Rome

Great trip report, thanks for sharing... looking forward to hearing about Santorini!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Rome

Will do

san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Rome

I am with Hubie; you will look back and smile at the mishaps. My first three hours in Rome were a disaster: I couldn't find my driver, couldn't figure out my cell phone (who knew you had to dial a + sign for international); thank goodness for the kind italian guy who called and we discovered my driver was in Terminal I and I was in Terminal 3; of course like keystone cops we both switched and missed each other only to meet up in Terminal 2- ha! Then my driver kept calling my landlord to confirm I was coming: nothing! When we arrived turns out my land lord's mother was waiting as my landlord decided to go swimming that day- ahhh the italians! needless to say I was exhausted- but now all I can do is laugh when I think about my craziness and sweet Claudio the driver who assured me he would never leave me on the side of the road without a place to stay!

Level Contributor
2,501 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Rome

Nice report . Thanks for posting.

9. Re: Trip report - Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:15