We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places in Rome to photograph a couple

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places in Rome to photograph a couple

Good day all!

I'll be in Rome in July and I've made arrangements to do photography one morning of a recently married couple around the city and I was wondering if those familiar could point me to some locations that are a. not very crowded b. beautiful and representative of Rome, and c. not to difficult to travel to. I'm from the states, and would like to create a group of photos that show the mood and character of Rome and don't have 20 tourists hanging out in the background of them. Any advice is VERY appreciated!

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

Rome in the summer is full of visitors everywhere, more than Wakiki beach in summer! When the surfs up!!

Jaipur in India
Level Contributor
477 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

i think colosseum in rome. Beautiful place.. Go one day before and cehck all the details with the local staff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

You might want to go a day or two in advance to scope it out - there are some beautiful small piazzas in areas not far from the more touristy areas but you can find them relatively free of too many people; so many little tucked away side cobblestone side streets that will provide you with the freel/lushness of Rome, etc.

As a photographer, finding these yourself in advance is probably the best way to go - they are such spots all over Rome - in addition to wherever else the couple may want to be photographed because, why not have a great wedding day photo with the Pantheon in the background - that would seem like a wow to me - depending on the photograph. Or, on any of the beautiful bridges over the Tiber River, maybe up in Borghese Park - well, more places that could possibly be mentioned.

If you are seeking a place with no people at, then you probably could do that in a studio - Rome is so vibrant and much of that comes from the people - well, you will find out....good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

If someone asked me where I would like my wedding photos taken in Rome, my first choice would be in Piazza Mattei, in front of the beautiful Turtle Fountain.

https:/…5456723705918124738

My second choice would be a view of the Colosseum – if you go to Via Labicana, there is a small set of steps leading up to a path in the Parco Traiano, - very rarely crowds in this park and you get a great view of the Colosseum.

https:/…5160137750223970242

Then Trastevere, the fountain in front of Santa Maria in Trastevere – early in the morning, very rare to see loads of people.

https:/…5537666438669460194

And finally, on the Ponte San Angelo for the view towards towards St Peter's, or the pedestrianised bit in front of the Castel San Angelo with the Via della Conciliazione behind.

https:/…5456708854434855922

Another suggestion – but it would have to be early to miss the busloads of tourists, is in front of the Bocca della Verita at Santa Maria in Cosmedin.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

I was also going to suggest the turtle fountain, but Chris beat me to it.

Other suggestions are the Janiculum Hill. On one side of Piazza Garibaldi, there is a great view of the city, and on the other, there is a wall with St. Peter's Basilica in the background.

The Villa Borghese park also has some lovely spots that don't get too many crowds.

My photo album, although maybe very amateurish to a professional photographer, has photos of both of these places. It also has a photo shot in Trastevere, with a bride and groom walking down the street-

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

I neglected to include the link:

https:/…

Also, the Palatine Hill has some very lovely spots with ancient Roman ruins in the background.

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

Thank you all for the insight! Of course I will scout these out and see how they look in the morning light. Photo shoot is tomorrow!

Grazie!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

Be sure to post some of your photos - if you are able! Would love to see them ...

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

I'm debating between the area around La Bocca Della Verita, and the Appian Way. I think the Appian way would be more scenic and grand, but I'm concerned that it isn't easily accessible for myself and the couple. From what I'm reading you would the metro and then a bus to get there? Is the entire Way quite long? Any advice is appreciated.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places in Rome to photograph a couple

It ends near Brindisi...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appian_Way

But look for the section there re the Appia Antica, probably the bit you're thinking of?

For directions, try the Park's site:

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

Peter

Edited: 08 July 2012, 15:31