We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets Rome to Venice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Train Tickets Rome to Venice

Hi All,

We are looking to book 2 tickets for a train trip from Roma Termini to Venice on Oct 17. i have been getting advice from different sources, that it is too early to buy, and best to wait 2 months before. a travel agent told me it's 3 months before.

however, whn i looked at the trenitalia website today, most of the super economy tickets for the early voyage (from 08:00am) are sold out.

any advice as to why the website are selling these tickets this early? i would think they would be the correct prices.

as i dont want to miss out on the cheap tickets, should i book now or wait until later.

Thanks for the reply.

rich

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
650 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

Trenitalia has changed its policies, and now takes bookings up to 120 days before travel.

Looking at 17 October, the only train that has sold out of Super Economy is the 08.45 departure. I can still see some €9 tickets on the 10.20 train.

There are very limited numbers of the very cheap seats on each train. Book *now* as prices will keep going up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

Thanks for the advice. Is this just a recent change by trenitalia (from 90 days to 120 days) in regards to advance booking? Local travel agencies here are still saying earliest is 90 days in advance. I would like to know if im getting tricked into this as the website is known to give error messages when you get to the stage of payment with your credit card details already entered? Im very cautious of this.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

Trenitalia is the state-owned national train operator in Italy. Quite frankly, it is just silly to suggest that such an organisation would deliberately design its web site so as to defraud people.

There are sometimes difficulties in having a card accepted, but these seem to be problems in the interface between Trenitalia's Italian bank and some banks in some other countries.

In any case, if you pay with a credit card, Australian banks are required to reverse any transaction if you do not receive the items you paid for.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

It's a fairly recent change.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

We purchased our Mini Fare (no longer offered) Trenitalia tickets for our travel between Rome and Florence exactly 4 months to the date in advance for our September journey.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

I have booked tickets for about the same date and for the same journey. I was on the website early on the day that bookings opened, 4 months in advance, and for one of the journeys 'super economy ' in first class was already sold out leading me to think that such tickets never existed in the first place. There was, though, availability for journeys just an hour later so it was not a problem. In a nutshell my advice is 'book now'. The only reason not to book, in my view, is if you want to wait for the Italo train which will run the same route. This new company says that they intend to run the Rome- Venice route by the Autumn but I wasn't prepared to wait in case the start date got pushed back. And anyway, I think that economy tickets are better value on the Trenitalia trains than on the Italo trains based on comparing prices for the Rome-Milan journey.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
7. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2012, 13:09
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

It's true that not all trains have super-discounted fares. Trains that are normally heavily used without promotions often don't have steep discounts. The discounts are a way of managing variations in supply and demand.

9. Re: Train Tickets Rome to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:41