We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Wi-Fi

TAMPA FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Free Wi-Fi

I will be spending a week in Rome soon and will be taking my laptop -- which I must use a couple of time each day. The hotel where I'll be staying charges an ungodly amount per hour for Wi-Fi.

We're so used to finding free Wi-Fi almost everywhere we travel (Starbucks, McDonald's, almost every cafe, etc.) that it's surprising it's not more common in Rome.

Can anyone recommend a place near Roma Termini with free Wi-Fi? I've been trying to research this on TA, but have not seen anything posted recently.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Wi-Fi

There are some places - I always have it my hotel for free so don't know exact spots these days. Free Wifi spots are not really easily accessible in Rome - in order to get online, you need to be given a code - it is part of their security/anti-terrorism measures.

I came across a free Wifi zone in November and just for the heck of it tried to get online but alas, I was prompted to put in a phone number - an Italian phone number -

But, there are some cafes that I've seen that seem to have it and they would give you a code if you eat/drink something there. And, there are other places as well I am sure.

I've heard rumblings (rumors?) that they may be changing their policy on this - don't know if that is correct or not.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
765 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Wi-Fi

The web site www.inromenow.com has an extensive list of free web sites. It may not be completely up to date, but it is useful. The site is also very helpful for a weekly guide in English to events in Rome.

Enjoy

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Wi-Fi

Many, probably nearly all, of those wifi spots are going to require that you have an Italian cell phone number. The law has changed a tiny little bit already, but it has a long way to go before wifi becomes freely available. It's supposed to be an anti-terrorism measure. Anyone who provides wifi to the public has to either 1) photocopy the user's passport or national ID; or 2) send the password to an Italian cell phone number (because your ID is photocopied when you buy the SIM card.)

I've found both hotel wifi and public wifi in Italy to be extremely unreliable anyway. I now use an 3G USB modem (dongle) when I'm traveling within Italy. You can buy an Italian SIM card for it for 10 euros, and you can get 40 hours connect time for 9 euros, to be used within a month. More hours if you pay more.

Or, if you have an unlocked smartphone that can be used with tethering, that would accomplish the same thing. However, I believe you'd have to pay the rates used for the dongle or a tablet. (Phone data plans are cheaper.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Wi-Fi

I must be extremely lucky because I am finding the wifi (and free to boot) to be very reliable in the the hotels and B&Bs I have been staying for quite some time now - in Rome, Bologna, Venice, Verona, Florence, Positano, Milan - where I had some issues was in some places in Tuscany and Umbria - in the countryside, but even then, overall it has been much improved or; as I said, maybe I am just very lucky.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Wi-Fi

Well, it could also be that I haven't been seeking out good wifi ever since I got the dongle. It's no longer one of the items on my checklist. However, where I find it, I use it, to save my hours for when I really need it.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 17:39
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Wi-Fi

I haven't had problems with the wifi in hotels or apartments in Rome, and I am surprised that your hotel is charging anything at all for wifi.

But as to free public wifi, it's not all that hard to get if you have an Italian phone number, and of couse you don't need to be an Italian or EU citizen to get an Italian phone number. But you should register in advance of use, someplace with a good strong wifi signal.

Having said that ....... There are some spots where there is a decent signal, but they are few and far apart. The best I've found is in the Ghetto, and the second best at the little piazzetta near the Caffè Della Pace. At the second place, the signal is sometimes strong enough to check your e-mail, but that's about it.

TAMPA FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Wi-Fi

My thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply to my post. I think that the USB modem might be the best answer for my trip.

Best regards,

Wendywee

8. Re: Free Wi-Fi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:47