We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Rome

Bialystok, Poland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Rome

Hi planning to spend 3 days in Rome. 2 adults + 2 teenage girls; will have a car;

Would appreciate advice/suggestions re the following;

1. where would you stay? Moderate cost/parking etc

2. what would you do/see? places to see ? places to eat at ? etc

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,067 reviews
from US$76.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$415.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,852 reviews
from US$124.50*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,649 reviews
from US$57.70*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Rome

I would suggest staying in the city center around the Navona or pantheon area. I doubt that you'll find a hotel with parking in the city center but you can check. I would suggest leaving the car outside the city or not even using one as parking is expensive and you won't be allowed to drive into the city. If you do, you'll be fined heavily if you stray into a limited traffic zone. You can check out the Hotel Smeraldo and the Albergo del Senato.

As for what to see and do, you really need to get a guide book. Anyone can make suggestions but without knowing you and what you like it's a shot in the dark. It's great if you like the same things I like but if you don't then it's a waste of time. A guide book will give you descriptions of the sites and list them by areas helping you to make a good itinerary. I would also have the girls go through and pick out what they're interested in. This way the trip will be yours and not someone elses.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Rome

With a car, I think you should stay away from the central area. A car is useless in Rome and parking is expensive. From which direction are you arriving in Rome? We can suggest neighborhoods where you can avoid entering the city and find parking cheaper. Most hotels with parking charge for it by the day.

Bialystok, Poland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Rome

Thanks for all advice.

Will be arriving from Florence and later departing for Venice.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Rome

If those are the only cities you'll be visiting then you might want to reconsider the car. You won't be able to drive into any of the cities and parking is very expensive. Italy has a wonderful train system that can easily get you from city to city.

Donna

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Rome

The Autostrada connecting Rome to Florence has some attractive sections, but nothing to rave about. Northward into the Po Valley, it is miles and miles of flat farmland. Unless you plan to detour off the autostrade into the countryside, the train can be faster and far less bother than a car in your three cities. Each of your cites has very different types of cuisines (which you might want to read about on line) . You can elicit thousands of differing opinions about "must have" dishes in each city. For me, I must have gelato in Rome and pasta alla Carbonara (only if with guanciale) and artichokes if in season; in Florence, grilled steak with Tuscan beans; in Venice, a glass of wine with cicchetti, followed by risotto with duck. There are so , so many other options.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Rome

If you're just visiting those three cities, I would totally forget about using a car. The train would be easier, cheaper, and faster. If you buy four months in advance, you can get train tickets between the cities for 9 euros.

www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

You have to use the Italian names of the cities: Roma, Firenze, and Venezia rather than Rome, Florence, and Venice.

7. Re: 3 days in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:17