We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Italian food

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Real Italian food

Can any please suggest good food with the locals not to far from the centre, not posh or fancy, just good regular tasty Italian food!

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Italian food

This food writer is an American expat living in Rome whose reviews of restaurants that I have tried matched my experience. so here you go

elizabethminchilliinrome.com/2010/02/monti-w…

Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Italian food

Eataly just inaugurated on 21st june. Huge selection of italian foods from all regions, directely from the producers, many restaurant the include also the possibility to buy your own food and have it cooked by professional chefs, to eat on the spot or to take away!! Easy to reach by metro (stop piarmide) or by buses that have their terminal at stazione ostiense!!

Worth to try!! ::)))

Ciao

Paola

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Italian food

What the name of the place? Thanks

Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Italian food

Eataly

Paola

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Italian food

Paola, I saw something about this on TV. Is it a permanent installation, or a temporary event? From their web page, it sounds permanent, but I had thought it was temporary.

Italian cooking is very regional. When I go to Rome, I look for good Roman food. Sometimes dishes from other regions are disappointing when prepared in restaurants in Rome.

One of my favorite Roman pasta dishes is pasta all'amatriciana. For meat dishes, anything with lamb is usually good: abbacchio, scottadito, etc. Vegetables: fried zucchini flowers, and artichokes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Italian food

From what I read, it seems that Eataly is similar to the behemoth that engulfs a full city block here in NYC with Mario Batali as one of the owners. I personally don't like it; it is cold, far too gigantic for my tastes - I don't like being presented with rows and rows and rows of zillions of choices of every Italian product on earth. I found it overwhelming and pretty uninteresting in its lack of character.

Here it has been a huge success with tourists now making it a destination stop. But, I can't quite imagine why it would be so appealing in a city like Rome which has such great shops tucked into the neighborhoods.

I will be interested to see how it does there.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Italian food

We experienced Eataly in NYC this past Christmas. It is a bit overwhelming - and the Rome location is 3+ times larger, so I can only imagine it would be way overwhelming.

We did have a nice pizza and salad for lunch, but don't think it would be on my meal list for our upcoming Rome visit. Maybe a stop in to see what it's all about and compare to the NYC location.

Doesn't seem the Rome location is as tied to Mario Batali as the NYC location.

Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Italian food

Hi bvlenci!! Eataly is permanent! It was a great idea ro reuse the old air terminal built for the soccer championship in 1990 and that was dismissed for ages! They did a great job, inside it is organized on 4 floors and there are restaurants on the upper floors plus bars and stands where to buy italian products from all the different regions. It is also a chance for work for many young people who as you certainly know in Italy have no jobs. Their policy is to buy the products directely from the producers and therefore they can re sell for quite reasonable prices. There are also pastry stands where they make pastry and sweets using exclusively italian ingredients right on the spot!. It is very beautiful inside, very clean and organized. It is the very first time in rome where you can buy regional specialties without going to the different areas. Of course this includes the wines as well. I think something like that is a big innovation in the city, the owners said the experiment was very successful in new york city and tokyo, but you know in those countries people are used to gigantic shopping mall, that we do not have here. Take a chance to see it during your next visit, I think you will like it!!!

Ciao

Paola

Edited: 24 June 2012, 17:50
9. Re: Real Italian food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 June 2012, 18:12
Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Italian food

Eatily is a chain of stores that began in Turino and is currently located in several countries. Its NYC location is operated as a partnership among Eatily, Batalli and the Bastianich family.