We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk from piazza navona to vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nyack, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
walk from piazza navona to vatican

Does anyone know if this is a pleasant walk, or is there a better route? I would take via dei coronari to Ponte St. Angelo.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

It is a pretty short walk and that area of,Rome is perfect to wandering so any little streets will do. If you like antiques ... I recall many antique shops on v Coronari and when I looked at the prices I assumed that the street was named for the cardiac sticker shock suffered by shoppers.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 02:22
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,764 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

I think it is an excellent idea; not too long and very pleasant, especially through Via dei Coronari (instead of Corso Vittorio Emanuele, on the whole less interesting).

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

We did this on two occasions, one to go to the Castel and then on the 2nd occasion to go right up to the Vatican, (we also walked back to our apartment which was just off Piazza Navona) The walk is easy and simple and we were surprised at just how quick it was.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

I am interested in doing this walk as well. Any idea of timing? We have an early Scavi tour (9am) and I would not want to under estimate our walking time. We would probably walk without stopping on the way to the Vatican but do a leisurely stroll/window shop on the way back So how long to walk there?Thanks!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,024 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

Ponte San Angelo is very scenic with the Bernini Angels celebrating the Passion of Christ.

my favorite angel

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

I think this is Via Cornari from Castle Sant' Angelo

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

It depends how long you take to look around you and admire the sights. You get wonderful views of the Castel S Angelo, Bernini's angels on the bridge, and the walk up to St Peters is quite magnificent. Perhaps 40 minutes to St Peters Square if you don't linger too long!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

Agreed. Not a long walk. Spend a little time crossing the beautiful bridge and looking over the Tiber. If you like you can turn right over the bridge and wander a couple of hundred metres to the market stalls before turning towards the Vatican.

Nyack, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

i did not know there was a market there. do you know if it is open on sunday?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

Lupaling -no. that street leading off the bridge is Via Banco S. Spirito. Coronari sort of dead ends in a tiny piazza off Banco s.Spirito. It's very easy to figure out when walking, so no worries to the walkers.

From Navona, another, and in my opinion, nicer, street is V. Governo Vecchio. You'll find it off the south end of Navona (where Piazza Pasquino marks it's start). It leads all the way up toward Castel Sant'Angelo,, too.

It will turn into Banchi Nuovi at Pza. Orologio.

Both streets are interesting and full of quirky shops, but Governo Vecchio has more clothing and restaurants vs. the objects of the other.

It's a bout a ten minute walk to the bridge from Navona - add more for slower pace and/or window shopping.

10. Re: walk from piazza navona to vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:15