We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days to avoid in March

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Days to avoid in March

We are planning a trip to Rome and Venice in March 2013.

We want to avoid booking when Rome will be especially crowded, such as on the day of the Rome marathon (March 17, 2013) and Easter Sunday (March 31, 2013).

Could you please let us know which days to avoid for booking in March. Our travel plans are flexible.

Many thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Days to avoid in March

I've been in Rome two years in a row now on Marathon date - stupidly not checking the date and arriving by train - but, once I walked most of the way to my hotel (sigh) - I found that the marathon didn't have any impact on the remainder of the day - I think it will depend on where you are staying. I stay in Campo de'Fiori, and it is pretty much out of the path.

I think you may pay more for a room the day or two before the marathon date, just as here in NYC; but, not sure.

You might want to come just after it to be certain of not running into, well, runners.

I love March in Rome - can even have some pretty warm days; usually it was in high 60s to mid-70s, cooler in the evening but I still found I was able to eat outside most nights.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Days to avoid in March

I was in Rome during the marathon. I had no idea that Rome has a marathon until saw the runners go by. I had drinks that evening with some of the participants that I ran into (no pun) randomly evening and all that they talked about was the "joy" of running the portions of the route that are cobblestone. Other than that, the race had zero impact on my visit.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Days to avoid in March

I have been in Rome twice during the Marathon. The crowding is in a specific area of town along the route. Bus transport in that are is disrupted, but if you walk to outside that area of take the Metro there are no problems.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Days to avoid in March

Many thanks for all of your helpful comments.

RubyCavalier

5. Re: Days to avoid in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:17