We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appian way help needed please!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Appian way help needed please!

After reading virtually every review of the appian way on TA and googling information as well, I am just as confused as ever! We will be coming into Rome on a Sunday(I gather thats the best day to see the appian way) and will be at our hotel around 3:00pm. We are staying near the colosseum. We will be in Rome for 4 days and would really like to walk the appian way if even for just an hour or two. I have read lots of information but am not sure exactly how far it is from the colossuem area to either the church of Santa maria or maybe to the catacombs of St Callixtus. Also is all of the Appian way still preserved with the stone road or is it only certain sections? If we were to venture out shortly after 3pm on a Sunday, would seeing a couple of the sites be possible or is it too late in the day? And it looks like the buses serving this area are hit and miss.....how much would it be to get a cab from the colossuem area to santa maria? And could we walk back from there? Sorry for all the questions, but any help is much appreciated!!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,086 reviews
from US$76.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,854 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.50*
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appian way help needed please!

I go out on the Via appia every time I have been in Rome 5 times now. Bus 118 runs every 30 mins even on sunday. You can catch it by the Circo Maximo or the Piramide Metro stops.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Here are the hours for the monuments on the Appian way

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

They don't close the Appain way so you can keep on walking on it until you get too tired ro the sun goes down. I think thought they they open ti up to through traffic at 6 pm.

The Appian way hosts modern traffic except on sunday. Only some of it has the old paving

pictures of sections of the road surface

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appian way help needed please!

Here is a google map showing the Appian Way. The colosseum is the red round thing

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I am not sure what you you mean by santa Maria?

google says it is 4 km from the Colosseum to the St Callistus catacombs and it would take 52 min to walk all the way there.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Appian way help needed please!

The park is large and much of it is on Street View. I've been there twice, once via subway and another walking (stupidly) from the Fao tube stop. For me, the best way to see the Claudian Aqueduct - whic is spectacular - is to take the tube to Giulia Agrocola and then walk the few blocks to the park. All of that is on street view. From the Aqueduct, it is a long hike to the park hq, but that was not a problem that I needed to solve, I just got back on the tube. The worst way to get to the park hq is to do what I did: walk from Porto S Sebastiano along the App Antica under the overpass. It is on street view. No shoulder, up against a high wall with fast traffic coming at your back around blind corners. Next time I will take the bus. With limited time you might consider a tour. It would eliminate the hassle factor and permit you spend your time enjoying the sites rather than trying not to get lost.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appian way help needed please!

Thanks for the great info lupaling. The church of Santa Maria is better known as Church of Domine Quo Vadis. 4km to St. Callistus? thats not bad, we could walk that. If we start heading in the right direction, are there lots of bus stops we can just stop at and jump on the bus? I read somewhere you cant buy tickets from the bus driver? Thanks for the pics as well. Farralones, thanks for your info as well, thats one reason I would like to do this on our first day there as its Sunday and it seems clear thats the best day to try this trip. And I have looked at tours, but they all start before we will arrive in Rome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,891 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Appian way help needed please!

Get your bus tickets at a newsstand - they are 1,50 euros per ticket. When you get on the bus, be sure to stamp your ticket in one of the boxes you will see.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appian way help needed please!

That's right: on buses in rome you need to buy the bus tivkets befreo you get on the bus. Tobacco shops and convenience stores sell the bus tickets. Buy extra, they are only 1.5 euro apiece.

The Church of Quo Vadis is marked on the map. It is the red cross near the yellow flag.

This picture shows the church of Quo Vadis on the left and the sign for St Callsitus

This is detail map of the catcombs area. The church of Quo Vaids is driectly at the top where the two roads branch off

Bus stops look like this and will have 118 on them

This picture is of the 118 bus stop going back to Rome at the St Callistus catacombs. One can see the pole the yellow bus stop sign is on at the right

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appian way help needed please!

Have you considered the Archeobus...

http://www.trambusopen.com/en/archeobus.cfm

The Domine Quo Vadis church is near one of its stops!

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appian way help needed please!

To answer one of your other questions, only a small portion of the Via Appia Antica has the original Roman paving blocks.

If you want to see a Roman road paved with the ancient paving blocks, I suggest you visit Trajan's Market. There you can walk on the ancient Roman Via Biberatica, with not only original stone paving, but also the old Roman shop fronts.

San Jose. Ca.
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appian way help needed please!

I like to walk along mile #5. If you go to the park site:

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp… it lists the various sights and mile 5 has an interesting mix of tombs.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appian way help needed please!

Mile 5 , the Archeological promenade?

I haven't been in that stretch. I opted last year to go to the Villa of the Quintili instead for my sunday visit.