We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Rome dirty?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
is Rome dirty?

I go to New York City very frequently because I live close. It is a beautiful city, but there's always piles of trash in the streets. Is Rome like New York because I am going to Rome this year and I'm just wondering if it also has garbage in the streets or if it's cleaner that New York.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is Rome dirty?

It's cleaner than New york, but there is lots of graffiti

my daughter lives in manhattan now and I visit her

rome streets

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Rome dirty?

Not piles of garbage in the streets, that side of things is good. There is a lot of graffiti and I was very surprised at how much is on the trains, often covered as high as the windows.

Even graffiti can sort of be part of the scenery

http://tinyurl.com/d3tf2fh

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is Rome dirty?

I think it's very clean for a big city filled with tourists. There used to be a problem with dog poo in the streets, but recently that's not been an issue.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is Rome dirty?

There are street cleaners operating regularly and rubbish bins everywhere but the most rubbish comes from tourists as far as I could see. I was disgusted at the amount of water bottles and food wrappings littering the outside of the Trevi Fountain one evening despite there being a rubbish bin less than 10 paces away.

I was also disgusted at the number of cigarette butts littering the streets everywhere. It is really noticeable in some places, especially when they are stuck between cobblestones. Locals and tourists alike just throw their fag butts down when they are finished with them instead of disposing of them properly. What a pity they can't smoke in private where they can litter their own backyard if they so wish rather than the streets. I guess that is an issue everywhere, not just Rome, but I did notice it more there than elsewhere.

Other than that Rome is a fairly clean city as far as cities go.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is Rome dirty?

Late at night, a night before garbage pick up morning, in midtown (mid 40s park to 6th) on the way back to the club there are always rats at the garbage bag piles cafeteria. I have not seen that in Rome, anywhere that a visitor is likely to visit. Don't worry about it. There is a lot of graffiti, but there is an underground art scene that has taken graffiti way beyond what it is back home here in the US. Some of it in Rome is just tagging. But then there are works like this

…blogspot.com/2011/09/seen-in-rome-graffiti-…

This is, after all, Italy, who gets an A in every Art History class in every college in the US. They have not forgotten how. .You might enjoy it. Have a great trip.

6. Re: is Rome dirty?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:15