We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

We rented a car from Budget, picking it up in Florence and dropping it off in Rome. We got a good rate 248.50 Euros. Our flight was delayed, and I called Budget as a courtesy to let them know that we'd still need the car, but would be picking it up 18 hours later. Never did they say anything about changing the rate. When I got my bill when I dropped the car off, it was for 539.25 Euros. They said that even though I picked the car up within the 24 hours, they had to rebook (It would have been nice if they'd told me). I'm a Gold Plus Hertz member, I've done this with them and have never had problems as long as I picked the car up within the 24 hour time frame. Apparently Budget doesn't think this way...Just thought I'd give you a heads up if your flight is delayed.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

It's Budget/Avis BTW and I did find on their website that there are no penalties if you pick your car up within 24 hours...How are they going to explain that!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Had you pre-paid for the car?

I think the rate changed for your rental time period; it is not penalties per se.

Whenever I change a reservation for a car (or hotel, or anything similar), I always ask whether the rate will be different - I know it can and does happen so I always ask so I have no surprises.

I rent cars frequently as I live in NYC and don't own one and I have run across this in my own experiences - here in the states and elsewhere.

Last I rented in Italy, I pre-paid. I don't know how they handle this type of situation with a pre-pay - I guess they just put the additional charge on your credit card.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

However, I didn't rebook...I just alerted them that I would be late, but still inside the 24 hour time period. No, I didn't prepay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

You want to contact your credit card company and see if there is anything they can do given the circumstances.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

I have and they've really been helpful. I'm also working with Orbitz. They're going to call Italy tomorrow and give them my side of the story.

Santa Maria...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Cannot agree more. Just returned from Europe this week. By far the worst rental experience I have had. Poorest customer service at pick-up- one employee on duty to handle dozens of customers, average wait time was 20-30 minutes per customer. We squandered 4 hours waiting to pick up our car. When the agent was asked why we had to wait so long her reply was that "It was not her problem!" She also conveniently failed to inform us that the return location was closed early on the day of our scheduled return. This company needs to be shut-down, at least in Italy. At $50USD+ per reservation the reservation fee amounts to extortion. They can afford to be losing renters to other companies and good luck trying to post a negative review anywhere, they have obviously schemed to make any less-than positive customer comments difficult to find online. Corporate should be notified. Heard similar and worse experiences by other visitors with Budget and ALL other Italian car rental companies. Tell everyone you know- avoid renting a car in Italy.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy and Liberty Rentals

I booked a car rental with Budget in May 2013, pick up at Pisa airport. When there to collect the car, they did not have it and therefore, me and other customers were diverted to a local agency Liberty Rentals, and given a letter that Budget would have refund the price difference. I sustained an extra cost for 712 Euro (outrageous) and submitted my claim a\nd request for refund on May 13. Dispite several emails and the involvment of Budget USA, Budget UK I am still waiting for an answer. Did not even get an acknowledgment of my claim submissin.

So yes, beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy (and Liberty rentals as well).

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Like I previously stated... Just contact your credit card company, explain the situation, and they will ( my experiences) credit your account and go after the rental company.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

I'd like to second the warning "Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy". I wish I'd read this thread 3 months ago! The car we received in Catania airport for a 2-week rental in April had no air conditioning, contrary to specifications on booking. Budget Italy's excuse: "due to rentals not being returned at the designated pick up time, they were unable to supply you with the car you had reserved". Pure BS: according to the Budget International booking site, Budget have NO cars at Catania airport without a/c, so blaming late returns is balderdash. Budget Italy have offered a princely 25 euro voucher - useable of course only we go back to Italy AND rent again from Budget. There are 2 chances of that happening...I agree wholeheartedly with the poster who said this company should be closed down.

It
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Budget Car Rental in Italy

Another company not to hire from is Locauto - they are cheaper so many people think they're getting a good deal. The trick is that they will charge you extra afterwards for non-existent damage to the car (they refuse to check it with you on its return), or will say that the petrol tank wasn't completely full and charge you for that. Then you can't get hold of anyone to complain to, and the airport staff just keep referring you to "customer service", for which there is no number! They are totally dishonest and deserve to go our of business!!