We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad Question

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
iPad Question

I have a first generation iPad that I only use with wifi. I bought it at Best Buy in Canada. Not sure if it's locked but that is probably the case.

If I bring it to Rome and take it a TIM, could they unlock and give me an Italian Sim card? Or do I have to have it unlocked in Canada before I leave?

Thanks!

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: iPad Question

Neither. If it is wifi only it does not use a sim and cannot be used with a wireless carrier. You will need to use it some place that has wifi available just like at home.

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPad Question

Thanks for the quick response. I should have clarified that it is 3G enabled - I just never use it. I just found out that iPads are not locked in Canada so I shoud be able to get a SIM in Rome when I arrive.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPad Question

I think all iPads are unlocked, even those sold in the US. It's just the iPhones that are locked down tight.

Prepaid, no-contract, data plans for tablets are pretty reasonably priced in Italy. They usually include a fixed number of megabytes to be used within a month, and there are also unlimited plans. Tourists are not usually in Italy for a whole month, so the cheapest data plans are usually plenty, because the amount you get for a month will have to last you only a week or two.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPad Question

This is interesting. I am new to the Ipad, and my service in the States is with verizon. They told me I could not use the 3G outside the U.S. - only Wifi. Does anyone know which is the correct answer?

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: iPad Question

Verizon works on a CDMA network that is not in Europe do that would be a fair statement that it won't work

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPad Question

Yes, actually, we need to know if Kconnie's iPad is GSM or CDMA.

7. Re: iPad Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:47