We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

We are in Rome for a day on 30th July and want to spend our time at the Colosseum and Roman Forum. We want to book tickets for the underground tour but as we have restricted time want to try to do the forum and Palatine hill in the morning and take the tour at around 1300. Does anyone know if you can book the tour and the combi ticket online, pick your tickets up at say around 9 or 10, not enter the Colosseum and go and do the other areas first ? Then obviously return to the Colosseum for the tour at 1300. Also, I am finding the costing very confusing. We have three children aged 6, 4 and 2. It looks like we have to pay the €9.50 for them each on the website for the tour. Anyone know if this is right?

Any help much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
18,329 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

You should just book the tour online without the tickets. Buy the tickets once you get to the forum or palatine hill. This way you are guaranteed to be able to visit those first.

You will pay just the tour fee for the kids but you'll still need to get them a ticket. You can ask for the free tickets when you buy yours at the forum or palatine hill. For booking the tour they will pay just the 9.50 each. If you are calling to book just the tour let them know that the kids qualify for free entry and that they will just need to be charged for the tour.

Donna

Edited: 15 July 2012, 23:44
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Donna could you give me the web site to book the tour w/o buying the tickets? Also, I thought only kids under 18 from EU nations get in free. please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks...

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

You can't book just the tour without the entry tickets online. You must call to do that.

011 39 06 39967700

There is no option online that allows you to book just the tour without entry tickets. The free tickets are the option for those who qualify for the free entry.

Only those under 18 that are from the EU will qualify for free entry (along with a few countries with reciprocity agreements). The OP is from an EU nation so my remarks were geared to her. Unless your children are from the EU you'll need to pay the full price for their tickets. If you are using the romapass for entry or will be buying your tickets at the palatine hill or forum entry you'll need to call to book just the tour.

donna

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Hi thanks for all the help. Just for information, I phoned the line in the end to book the tickets. From UK its 00 instead of 011. Also when booking I asked if wecould pick up our tickets in the morning and return at the time for our tour and she said that was fine. So it looks like it would be fine to book tickets online for the tour and go and get your tickets prior to the tour to go and see the other areas first, if that makes sense. Also I think she said that although I would have to pay for the children now if I take some I'd they will refund the child's price as two of them are under 6. It was less over the phone anyway than booking online, for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm very pleased I have it sorted now!

Thanks for all help and hope some of this information is helpful too.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Got my email confirmation straight away and they have only charged the booking fee of €1.50 for each of the children, which is great. Would have paid the €9.50 anyway as really want to see the tour but just thought I'd share the information. Its maybe better to call in certain situations.

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Does your confirmation have everyone listed as being on the tour or just for entry tickets? The tour isn't free, even if they qualify for free entry so I'd call just to make sure they are actually on the tour. I'd hate for you to get there and find out the kids weren't listed as being on the tour and it being sold out.

Also, there is a report from someone earlier this summer who was given a hard time for wanting to pick up their entry tickets before the tour time. This is why I suggested you buy the entry tickets at one of the two sites you'll be visiting first. It will also save you time as you won't need to backtrack to get them.

Donna

Edited: 16 July 2012, 13:16
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Thanks Donna, your advice is really helpful. I have checked and the confirmation definitely states its for the underground tour so hopefully its fine. It even states their ages. I can't say what will happen when we get there but I did ask specifically if we could pick the tickets up in the morning, go to Palatine/forum first and return for the tour and she said that's absolutely fine, just to make sure we were back at the required time so we didn't miss the tour. Hopefully all will be fine when we get there but I have the confirmation anyway so fingers crossed we won't have any problems.

Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Hi,

I would like to buy the tickets for the Underground tour online. I was also hoping to visit the forum earlier than the tour - did you have success?

Thanks

Kath

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Kath, you cannot book just the tour online, it's sold as a combo ticket, ticket and tour together. Go to the website and use the print at home option to buy the entry tickets. This will allow you to visit the forum/palatine hill before the colosseum. Once you've purchased the entry tickets you must call to book the underground tour. This is the only way to do it if you want to visit the forum and palatine hill first.

You can get more information by reading the colosseum article in the Top Questions at the top right of this page.

Donna

Sydney
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underground Colosseum tour and entering forum first?

Thanks Donna