We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

So I'm planning a trip for my girlfriend and I to the wondrous sights of Rome.

The thing we're mainly interested in are the standard touristy things (Colosseum, vatican etc etc), however we're also very keen to sample the culture (restaurants, the food, the wine, any significant events & Latin bars)

However, when I had a quick browse on the internet a lot of the central hotels & B&B's were fully booked (oh dear!!)

So my question is two fold :)

1) Have I left it too late to book a hotel / B&B in the center of Rome? If so, are there any areas that have good travel links to the center?

2) Or should I leave to the very last minute in the hopes of cancellations?

Any general advice on the matter aside from, these questions is also greatly appreciated! I am a complete Rome newbie so advice on what to see & where to go is also something I'd find valuable!

This is a really special trip for me, as I'm a bit of a romantic, and I want to make this the best trip I can :)

Thanks

Alex

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Check www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.romeinfo.com

Lazio region www.italia.it/en/home/html

Train visit from Rome to Orvieto or Assisi www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Edited: 25 July 2012, 08:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Thanks Nurioopta, I should mention my budget is no more than £150 per night

cheers!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Alex 150GBP you have style, we never pay more than 70GBP there again our romantic days are way past!! :)

We always book our hotels through Venere and get some good bargains.

Note should you be arriving at Fiumicino airport use the Leonardo Express train as the Terravision bus has been getting a number of complaints

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Thanks, £70 a night? that's great value for money.

Where have you stayed in the past? Did you leave it until last minute to book? If so, would you advise doing this?

Let me know! Thanks :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

We prefer 2/3 star hotels or B&B's instead of the high priced accommodation, which is impersonal and often indifferent in attitiude.

Check the rates and go for it, as expensive is not always best, especially for a "romantic stay".

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

that sounds perfect, as newbies to Rome I'd love to stay with people that are friendly, and who know the area, we want to see some really authentic Italian restaurants & areas, without falling into "tourist traps".

Where have you stayed in the past?

Did you book in advance? Or were you quite last minute?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Don't wait to the last minute - book now if you find something.

The link given to you above is a good starting place - www.venere.com and the reviews at that site are confirmed to be by people who did stay on the property (TripAdvisor doesn't so confirm its reviewers - which doesn't mean they aren't legit, just that there is a possibility some might not be).

October is a popular time - as is much of the year these days - so, book now. It is possible you might find something by waiting, but why take the chance you won't find anything at all that you like.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

What are your exact dates Alex? I would be surprised at everything being booked up at this stage. £150 is quite a generous budget so you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting something suitable. I like www.booking.com a lot of their bookings include free cancellation and don’t require a deposit (although check the small print because it isn’t always the case and some of the cheaper rates are no cancellation). If you go into booking.com and scroll down, on the left hand side you can select your area, Navona, Trevi and Pantheon would be the most central areas. You would be close to most of the sites (which the exception of the Vatican as it is a little out on it’s own)

I would be nervous of leaving your booking much later, but then I am a very organised person and like to know exactly where I am staying so I can read the reviews etc! Why don’t you book something now that can be cancelled and then if something better comes along. I would worry that if you left it until the last minute, you may find either everything decent is booked or else charging a fortune.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Hello, and thank you both for your advice, I have taken it on board and booked a B&B overlooking St Peters called RomaDreaming, it seems really nice, and from what I've read the owners are very helpful.

Flights now too are booked, this is my first holiday, and was surprised at all the additional charges that airlines fix!!

If anyone has any info on RomaDreaming, or information on what to do / where to eat from personal experience, then please do get in touch! As I find individual advice so valuable! :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for October holiday! When in Rome!! :)

Hi

In fact I am also planning my trip to Milan/Florence/Rome....2/8-9/8

I use Bookings.com for all my hotel acc...great site where you can see the pics of the hotels you are interested in...and most important, the reviews by fellow travellers....accurate descriptions.

In Rome....I choose between Relais Fontana Di Trevi, Intown Luxury House, and Suitesistina

Of the three....Suitesistina have the most romantic rooms (check it out and you understand)....circular beds, long baths...

I think this will suit you most if you looking for somewhere romantic.

Most important is a hotel or B&B...location....easy access to metro line, shopping, sightseeing nearby...

And since you have some time till Oct...book with free cancellations...would cost more...but always good if you have last min changes or you see something better to fit your travel plans...

Hope that helps...kc