We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

Does anyone know how much costs a luggage cart in Fiumicino?

Do you need to have the right coin?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

Last time I was there (Oct 2011), it was 1 euro. I didn't use one, I saw where they were. I would think you would have to have a 1 euro coin to operate it, but I didn't look that closely.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

If you're going to need a luggage cart in the airport, you'd better hope you won't be taking any trains while in Italy. It's best to take only the luggage you can personally handle because there's no help at train stations

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

It is 1 euro and you need coins. Unfortunately, they do not take credit cards like some do. Just to reiterate Jerryott's point, don't bring so much luggage (train or no train), that you can't handle it on your own.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

thanks guys - it was really helpful!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

They do have change machines near the luggage cart rental area, but the machines charge you to get a 1E coin. How much? I don't remember, just enough to slightly pi$$ you off.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

The carts are ahead and towards your right as you exit passport control. The walk from passport control to the carousels and then to the exit is about one city block long. Just beyond the exit are the doors to the outside and to the taxis.

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

Learn to pack light and you won't need a luggage cart. One carry-on each is all you should need if you pack properly.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

<<<<Learn to pack light>>>

I think a better term is choose to pack light if you can. There are many reasons a person can't pack light "medical equipment" or choice "transporting stuff to friends in Italy and wine going home". I'm glad there are luggage carts at FCO, it's nice to have a choice.

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

You're absolutely right, fatjack. I shouldn't be so flip about packing light. However, haven't we seen people struggling with way too much luggage (they couldn't all be carrying medical equipment)...the worst I saw was in Venice where so many people were trying to cross the many bridges with huge pieces of luggage. We always purchase an inexpensive piece of luggage on the street in Rome for shipping our wine and other purchases home, and let the airline handle it. It's always made it home ok. Not sure how many people are "transporting stuff to friends in Italy"...that would be a rare occasion, but could be, I guess. I should have said pack light, if you can.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage carts in Rome Airport?

Perhaps Miriam is moving to Italy. Let's see you do that with one 22" suitcase.