We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

delhi
Level Contributor
141 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

Hi! I've managed to get tickets for the Scavi tour at the vatican on a Mon. But the tour is at 1:45 ie middle of the day. Since I wanted to do the museums through a guided tour was wondering if i could take a 3 hr one in the morning (starts at 8am) , go onto the scavi tour and end with roaming thro the basilica and st peters square. Will it all be too much for a single day, or should i do the scavi tour and basilica on one day and the museum tour on the next day?

Pls do advise as am really confused and tried to search the form for answers..but came up short. Thanks for ur help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

The scavi brings you up inside the area of the basilica and so you don't need to go through the security lines again, which is a time saver.

You might like to do Castel Sant'Angelo first, or even the Campo de'Fiori markets, have an early lunch, do the scavi and basilica and save the museum tour for the next day.

We prefer to have only one or two major things a day or we get overload, and the museums are very crowded and somewhat exhausting.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

I agree with Lynn. I would save the Vatican Museums for a different day. It's a very tiring visit, and I wouldn't get much out of the Basilica or the necropolis (scavi) on the same day.

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

It depends on your travel style. We had the same time slot for our scavi tour, so we bought timed tickets to the Vatican museums for when they opened so we could spend several hours there first. Then we did the scavi tour and spent time exploring St. Peter's after the tour. We also climbed the dome that afternoon. It was a lot of sightseeing, but we enjoyed it.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

We had almost the reverse schedule. We had a Scavi tour at 9:30 and timed Vatican tickets for 1:30. We climbed the dome first thing in the morning before the crowds, went to our Scavi tour which ended in St. Peters, ate lunch on the quick and then headed to the Vatican Museums. We were exhausted at the end of the day but the dome, Scavi, St. Peters and the Museum are all right together and bring together the whole historical picture well. Plus it was out of our way to go back another day.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

We did all in one day. It was a very long day, we were exhausted and had sore feet (even with great shoes) and backs. But for various reasons, we did it that way. We survived, but be prepared, or split them up.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

To do all three (scavi, basilica, museums) in one day is possible but tiring. The only thing I would say is that those are the peak times for those attractions. Of course, it is the Vatican so it is always, always busy, but I find that a lot of visitors line up for the museums in the morning and visit the basilica in the afternoon.

I am personally not a huge fan of crowds, so I will give you this recommendation. If you don't mind waking up early, St. Peter's Basilica actually opens at 7am. I absolutely love going at that time (I live walking distance from the Vatican) because it is almost empty! So much more relaxing and really quite an amazing experience (well, even more so, haha). If you are coming from the city center, St. Peter's is on your way to the museums so you won't double or anything.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 06:30
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

sorry!

*double back or anything

delhi
Level Contributor
141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

Thanks everyone! that really helps.

Think I'll do the Museums the next day cause i do have time and dont think I'll be coming back again from india any time soon!

los angeles
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

Hi,

I have that same 1:45 time slot and was hoping to do St. Peters right after the Scavi Tour but was worried about lines. Just confirming - you can go right into St. Peters after the tour without having to go back out and wait in line? That would be great news!

Thank you in advance for your help!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can I combine with the Scavi tour - help please!

Yes, you can enter the basilica directly after the scavi tour.

Donna