We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

I've been to Rome a couple of times before. I stayed near Trevi once, near P. Barberini another time. I'll be there again next June before a cruise. I am looking at hotels, and I see some possibilities in the Vatican area (on that side of river) or Trastavere.

What would it be like to stay in the Vatican area? Is it easy to get back/forth from the main tourist sites (Spanish Steps, Trevi, etc)? I'm traveling with some friends who have never been to Rome, so I want to be sure that they'll have a good experience.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

The vatican area is right on the bottom of my desired lodging locations. It is too far west of the other sights. Transport connections are not all that fantastic either. There is the Metro but you usually have to make a connection to a bus to get to a lot of places or go to Termini to change to Metro B.

Trastevere is my own favorite area to stay in. I stayed near Ponte Garribaldi. You can walk to a number of sights (especially in the jewish ghetto, Campo fiori, and the Ancient Roman sites. Transport connections are great. Tram 8 runs up and down Viale Trastevere every 15 min from Largo Argentina (jsut south of the Pantheon) to Trastevere Station. Bus 280 (crossing at Ponte Palatino) takes you to the vatican or the Piramide Metro stop. Bus 160 takes you to Piazza Silvestro near the Trevi fountian to the Baths of Caracalla.

Trastever is very charming with loads of good restautrants and bakeries. great shopping also. Beautiful churches loaded with art,

Google amp of Trastevere with sights and some restauratns

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

I agree with the first poster. My first visit to Rome I stayed near the Vatican and had to take the metro to get to see the sights. It was NOT fun. It IS THE place to get robbed. It will burn 20 minutes or more one way to get anywhere from that part of town.

My favorite place to stay in Rome is Hotel Giordino on Via Maggio. You can walk to everything from there and there are good restaurants nearby...plus the price is great...even better with the Rick Steves discount and if you pay cash it is lower as well.

Hope this helps.

plymouth
Level Contributor
216 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

im really worried now we are going to rome in october and are staying at vatican vista in piazza del risorgimento we thought it was easy access to the sites .im worried now weve made the wromg choice all this talk of being robbed etc

Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

Wow. Lots of good info so quickly.

It sounds like Vatican isn't the best choice. I suspected this. I'm going to look at Trastevere hotels, also some other hotels nearer to Trevi. I'll be back with questions, I'm sure.

Thanks a lot!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

"m really worried now we are going to rome in october and are staying at vatican vista in piazza del risorgimento "

I have been to Piazza Risorgimento repeatedly because it is the terminus of bus 81 (that I have used a lot). neither my husband or I have been robbed while there, and my husband contrary to what I tell him, keeps his wallet in his jeans pocket.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

We stayed in Prati our first visit and liked it primarily because it was not in the center of the city or near the main tourist sights-in fact, we will be staying in the same apartment for our upcoming trip in October. I can't comment on the hotel selection, but there are numerous very nice apartments in Prati if that is an option you are considering. We had no problems getting to and from the main sights using the Metro (and a cab on a few occasions), and in fact were able to walk from our apartment to Piazza Navona our first night. We DID NOT have any issues with pickpockets or other petty crimes (or more serious ones, for that matter) in any part of Prati (or in Rome in general, for that matter), and we were out until the wee hours several of the nights of our stay. As for the neighborhood ambience, it really depends on what you want in the neighborhood-Prati is newer and doesn't have the same appeal that lodging in the ancient city does for some, but different strokes for different folks, as they say. We have some close family friends that aso like the area for the same reasons we do, but we also have friends that like to be in the center of the action, so Prati is not their cup of tea. For me, I am a very light sleeper, so I tend to avoid lodging in the center of activity, but everyone is different. I would certainly not avoid Prati because of any concerns about street crime-it is no better or worse than many other safe parts of Rome.

7. Re: Hotel in Rome--Vatican area vs. Trevi/Piazza Navona, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:17