We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome - Which area to stay

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Rome - Which area to stay

Me and my wife are looking to go to Rome in October, where is the best area to stay? and also a nice but cost effective hotel to stay in?

Many thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

Define "best". It depends on what you are expecting. Also, can you say how much you want to spend on the hotel? Then people can help you choose.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

Somewhere that has nice restaurants and some nice bars, is there an actual centre?

Be looking at spending £50 - 80 a night?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

50-80 B-pound is 63-100 euros (low end lodgjng for Rome)

Best is a relative term

Where you stay in Rome depends on both your budget and how convenient you want your lodging placed. Centro Storico is the area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona. It is considered the center of modern Rome and everyone likes/wants to stay there because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging in Centro Storico command a premium to other areas. Same with the Spanish steps. You have to balance your budget restrictions with your convenience factor.

Trastevere, the areas around the Colosseum (Monti, Celio), Barberini area, Vatican are not as central but reasonably charming and convenient. Using Public transport (reasonable good and cheap in Rome), these areas are reasonably convenient. Trastevere is my personal favorite. There are great transportation connections in Trastevere because Tram 8 that services the area runs every 15 min.

At the other end of the spectrum is the area around Termini. This area gets a bad rep, but violent crime in Rome is very low by American standards, and I have stayed in this neighborhood overnight and walked around there more than once after dark with no bad effects. Lodging near here is some of the cheapest in central Rome, but you have to take public transport to nearly all the major sites it you don’t feel like walking 1-2 miles to get there. The other down side is that is charmless and modern

Distance from Termini

1.45 miles to Piazza Navona (as the bird flies)

1.27 miles to the Pantheon (2.04 km)

1 mile to the Colosseum

2.5 miles to Vatican city (St Peter’s Basilica)

Bus 40 into Centro Storico

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

Danny I agree with Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori areas, your budget is pretty low for Oct though as its still high season in Rome.

I've stayed at both these places that are quite low budget but in this area, they are classed as B&B's but perfectly clean if only basic. Check the rates on www.venere.com as well as their own website.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 10:02
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

Hunt down a B&B near the Vatican..........we did, great price, good shops and restaurants nearby. Nice walk to centre & far less touristy. I loved the B&B where we stayed - you can look up my review. It's very good value.

6. Re: Rome - Which area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:16