We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

We will be visiting Italy next year for our first visit to Europe as a retirement vacation. In doing our research we realize that gelato is one of the experiences we will have to try while we are visiting. A gelato shop opened recently in our city, and I realized that I know less about gelato than I thought I did!

Do most people eat gelato in a bowl or in a cone? There were cones available, and being the Americans that we are we had the gelato in a cone. The consistancy is not like ice cream and I wondered if it would be more logical to eat in a dish.

I had chocolate and DH had mango. Although I am a chocoholic I really liked his better. Then it occured to me that perhaps gelato is sold more in fruit flavors.

So...we would appreciate any thoughts or advice about everything gelato!! Thank you!

Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Hi Laura!

Gelato to take away when you are strolling the city is commonly sold on the cone or bowl. This depends exclusively on personal taste. I personally love to eat the cone when the ice cream is finished, but some people don't and therefore they get the bowl option. Gelato in a dish is usually what you get in restaurants, not in the shops. Go ahead and try as much as you can! Here I suggest a few great gelato shops:

Frigidarium, near piazza navona

Giolitti, near the pantheon

Lo scimmiotto, also near the pantheon

Old bridge, near the vatican

And so many more to discover walking through the city!

Have a great time in rome!

Ciao

Paola

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

I am the gelato expert!! I eat it every day when I am in Rome!!!

You can get it in a cone or cup and there are various sizes, usually sm, med and Lg .

You can get as many as 3 flavors into a small For the same price(only in Rome I believe - in Venice it's by the scoop like in the States.)

A small is usually PLENTY!!! Whipped cream an be added for free (contrary to what some others have said.)

Not all gelato places are good quality however.

Look for the sign "Gelato Artigianale" which means home made.

I love chocolate as well, my favorites are variations of chocolate - Bacio and Gianduia---

They taste really great with any berry flavor or zabaione flavor.

Here are my favorite places:

Giolitti

San Crispino

Cremeria Monteforte

Il Caruso

Frigidarium

& the following no name places:

On via marcantonio colonna - Prati district

On the street leading to ponte sisto

Alberto Pica, which gets high praises is mediocre in my opinion!!!

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
464 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

We preferred ours in a bowl since it was so hot that melting all over our hands would have been the alternative! Enjoy this treat.

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

My first trip to Italy was in 1971 - As scary as that is, I have never forgotten the gelato....and to this day, I seek it out as soon as I arrive in Italy. The very best flavor is Lemon. Enjoy!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

My favorite flavor is stracciatella. Vanilla gelato with bits of dark chocolate.

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Sorry, Penny, but I have to disagree. A small is NEVER enough!!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Avoid the gelato shops with huge vats of brightly colored fluffy gelato in the windows. The real stuff will be less bright in color and less fluffy and is made with all natural ingredients. I have a hard time deciding between the fruit flavors and the milk based flavor - so get some of each for a great combination.

ps: On a hot day in Italy this counts as a fruit serving not a dessert (at least that's my rule)

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I have saved them to my trip advisor. so that I can refresh my memory before we go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

most people get little cups of gelato although cones are also popular

you can mix several flavors in a cup and this is commonly done

lots of gelato particularly in Rome is supermarket quality -- nothing special -- I have had gelato in Rome so terrible that I have thrown it away.

if it comes piied high in colorful swirls topped by fruit, it is probably junk especially if on a touristy street

ask the locals for the good places with gelato made from natural ingredients -- often this will be a hole in the wall type place

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Can You Tell Me About Gelato?

Here's a link to Katie Parla's gelato guide:

parlafood.com/my-guides-to-gelato-in-rome/

Enjoy!