We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trevi Fountain emptied

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Topic
Trevi Fountain emptied

The Trevi Fountain has been emptied this morning for an urgent survey of possible restoration work. No news about when it will be back to normal.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

I left some coins in the fountain. Could you please arrange for these to be sent to me?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

no!! :( I leave for Rome on Friday and I will be so upset if its not up and running

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

I shouldn't hold my breath if I were you. These things are rarely resolved quickly in Italy.

sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

ill be there in 3 weeks time, hopefully it will be restored then! but thanks for the update anyway!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

It was all back up and running again when I wandered past it yesterday afternoon so hopefully it won't need to be emptied again for a while :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

Just read an article in my local paper that the fountain is going to be restored.

theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/…

Does anyone local know when it's going to happen, or if it has started alerady? I would hate to miss this when I go in April.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 20:47
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

Oh no! Please say it ain't so. I will be there in the second week of May 2013!

Bad Timing! :-(

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

Gisele - Don't worry!! I have friends who was just there in october 2012 and Trevi is up and running and as beautiful as ever ;)

If you take a look up - you'll see that this topic was actually posted quite some time ago ;)

You just relax now and enjoy Rome! *envy*

Edited: 06 February 2013, 21:45
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

The restoration funded by Fendi was announced on January 29, so it can't have started already. The mayor of Rome said it would start "soon", but then he said that in January 2011 about the Colosseum restoration, which *still* hasn't started. So who knows when the restoration, expected to take 20 months, will actually start.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
697 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trevi Fountain emptied

There was a more recent article in my local paper as well, just this past week, that reported on the upcoming restoration. I don't remember when it is reported to start....but it indicated that they would be cleaning all the exterior portions and repairing exterior damage. The plan was to enclose the scaffling with cloth that is printed with an image of whatever portion of the fountain they were working on so as to not totally mare the view of the fountain. Yea, I'm sure that will make it better.

Maybe someone can provide more details about the dates? I am always so dissapointed when I get to one of the sites I want to visit and find it wrapped in scaffling.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 21:56