We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts in the evening

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow uk
Level Contributor
795 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Shorts in the evening

Is it ok for men to wear smart shorts in the evening or is it usually long trousers.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts in the evening

This is an often asked question.

Wear what you like, you are a tourist on vacation and if that's what you're comfortable in, then wear them. Italian men don't typically wear shorts for day or evening but you're not Italian are you?

My husband prefers to blend in and not look like a tourist so he wears long pants or jeans in the evening.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts in the evening

I'd better tell my Italian husband that Italian men don't wear shorts! He's been wearing them everywhere, even to mass, for all of the 18 years I've known him!

Edited: 31 August 2012, 22:31
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts in the evening

Bvlenci, what city/town do you live in? I wonder if the "rules" are different in the bigger cities. I don't remember seeing older men in shorts in the evening in the cities.

Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts in the evening

Actually, plaid shorts, knee length or a little longer, are very popular with Italian men this year. As I saw on a fashion site, "I bermuda sono il must di questa stagione".

You wouldn't want to wear shorts to a fancy restaurant in the evening, but they're fine at a casual restaurant or pizzeria.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 22:38
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts in the evening

And where would that be? I imagine men's fashion is different in, say, Milan versus Napoli.

durham, NC USA
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts in the evening

Ha! I believed all the postings and guide book writing about Italian men not wearing shorts, so I only packed one pair (to double as swim wear) on our recent trip in July. It was REALLY hot, and a great many Italians were wearing shorts, especially in Venice. I tend to wear long pants at home, so I would not wear shorts out for an evening meal or show, but if we go again in high summer, I am packing more shorts, for sure!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts in the evening

If you're still coming this month, the question could well be whether it's worth him bringing any long trousers at all?

Certainly at this time of year I wouldn't pack more than a single pair... neither when visiting from London, nor now that we're living some 100+ miles south of Rome!

Obviously a few restaurants, especially those in the grander hotels, won't be keen - but ordinary places are unlikely to give a fig....

Peter

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts in the evening

bvlenci, are you sure your husband isn't an imposter Italian? He doesn't seem to follow any of the rules...

;-)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorts in the evening

I live in a small town in rural Le Marche,but I can assure you that even Romans wear shorts when they're on vacation. We spend our summers in the mountains of southern Le Marche, an area that's very popular with vacationing Romans, and more than half of them wear shorts, even to mass and to restaurant meals in the evening. There are no elegant restaurants near our summer house, though.

People who are visiting Rome see people going to work in offices and assume that Romans don't wear shorts. This past summer, I stayed near the Parco della Musica for a week, where my daughter was attending a conference. This is a residential neighborhood and if you stay in an area like that, you'll see plenty of Romans walking around in shorts in their off hours.

I saw an Italian magazine article that advised people that if they were visiting foreign countries, wearing shorts would mark them as a tourist! They obviously didn't mean in northern Europe, where I've seen people wearing shorts in temperatures that would have an Italian in woolies.

10. Re: Shorts in the evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 September 2012, 15:27
Edited: 01 September 2012, 15:27