We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beggars beyond belief

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
177 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Beggars beyond belief

Just returned from Rome after a short visit and what a beautiful city, however its not the views that stay in my mind, its the beggars and pushy street sellers that I remember the most.

I have visited many cities...London, New York, Toronto, Paris, Prague etc but have never experienced so many beggars.

I did not expect them to approach me during meals and this includes street sellars too. One man in a wheelchair blocked my friends path on the street, grabbed her arm and gave her no choice but to walk on the road in order to escape.

Whilst I feel deeply sorry for these people, they did at times become agressive and have put me off returning to Rome. I don't know whether it was because we were 2 women travellers that we got hounded so much.

Hope my post doesn't offend anyone, just wanted to share my experience and if I had realised the volume of beggars and the methods they used then maybe it wouldn't of come as quite the shock.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beggars beyond belief

Maybe it's seasonal. We were there last November and I do not remember any at all. I was harassed in Florence but not in Rome..... we will be there in 6 weeks so I will find out.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beggars beyond belief

Begging is also common in Vienna, London and Paris.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beggars beyond belief

But may pay better elsewhere?

news.com.au/national-old/sydney-homeless-man…

Peter

England
Level Contributor
177 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beggars beyond belief

Maybe it is seasonal, have been to florence and only had one beggar approach me during a meal. I know there are beggars in every city but it was how they would approach you that shocked me plus so many of them.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beggars beyond belief

That's what happened to me ... sitting in the square having a sandwich when approached by a strange looking woman who would not go away ... she got uncomfortably close and when I yelled at her she looked at me as if I had killed a baby. My other half was so embarrassed. I get the impression they look for english speakers.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 09:35
England
Level Contributor
177 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beggars beyond belief

Well able58, lets hope its seasonal and you do not experience the same as me in 6 weeks time. It wasn't near my hotel, more near tourist areas.

Setubal, Portugal
Level Contributor
162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beggars beyond belief

i guess i'll have to see that next week when we get to Florence/ Rome, but we were there also last year and did not experience that!!... ok, we were 1 girl and 3 guys, but if that happens to us, i just start speaking portuguese and wander off. I don't promote that kind of lifestyle.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beggars beyond belief

I've been to rome several times, and thought the beggars were much worse in Paris.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beggars beyond belief

To m it seemed like there were more beggars and aggressive vendors in Naples than in Rome. The ones in Rome seemed no worst than in San Francisco. Florence seemed a lot fewer than Rome did when I went, but I was there only once.

BKK
Level Contributor
533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beggars beyond belief

All this talk about pick pockets and beggers is really putting me off on Italy and Europe. I have traveled extensively in Asia and have never worried about any of this.