We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

Hi All,

We are going to be travelling to Rome for 4 nights. We are originally travelling from Australia but going to Athens and then catching a flight to Rome.

We will be staying in Hotel Raffaello and would interested only in travelling in Rome to see the museums and historical monuments and also would like to go to Vatican just one day to get a tour of the museums/chapels etc.

Could you please let me know ?

1) Taxi fare from the airport to our hotel

2) Can I buy museum and monument sight seeing tickets online so that I can skip the long queue ?

3) Is everything walkable or do I need to buy metro/public transport tickets ? If yes what sort of pass should I buy ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

1. 48 euros fixed fare. Some private car services are cheaper.

2. Yes, the most important tickets to buy online are the Vatican Museums tickets.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

3. The city is quite walkable, but you may need to take buses or the metro occasionally. It's probably not worth buying a pass, which would pay off only if you took four trips a day. A ticket for public transportation (bus, tram, metro, or urban train) costs €1.50 and is good for 100 minutes, including transfers from one to another.

If you plan to visit at least two museums or archaeological sites (other than the Vatican, museums, which are not in Rome) it might pay you to get the Roma Pass, which costs 30 euros. It's valid for three calendar days, and gives you two free admissions, discounts on other entries, and unlimited public transportation. Whether it's worth the cost would depend on which places you want to visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

thank you. Where can I buy the transport pass in Rome ? We are staying in Hotel Raffaelo is that walking distance from any historic location.

Also I was told colosseum is over crowded and I would like a tour there with a guide. How can I book one ?

Where can I buy Roma Pass ?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

Romapass: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c149376/Rome:…

Colosseum: www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

Edited: 07 September 2012, 10:29
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

It would help if you told us the address of the Hotel Raffaello. There are hundreds of hotels in Rome, and no one can remember the locations of all of them.

I happen to know where the hotel is located, because it's on one of my favorite streets. It's very close to the Colosseum and Roman Forum, and you could walk to Trevi Fountain in about 15 minutes. The Pantheon and Piazza Navona would be about a half hour's walk.

The Colosseum is often crowded, and there may be a long line for tickets, depending on the time of year, and especially in the morning. Hiring a guide doesn't make it any less crowded. If you want to avoid the queue, and if you're not buying the Roma Pass, you can buy your tickets online and either print them at home (using the tick@click link) or pick them up.

pierreci.it/home-page/…colosseo.aspx

If you want a tour, you can't print them at home. Click on the "buy" link, scroll to the bottom, click "I agree", then choose "Collect on site" at the bottom of the column of choices, then choose a day, then the type of tour you want.

There is a regular guided tour, and there are tours that include the underground area. The underground tours can't be done if there's been a lot of rain, but they seem to be available at least in the near future.

If you want to buy a Roma Pass, but also want a tour, you must call them to purchase the tour, and tell them you'll be paying for the entry with a Roma Pass. Their number is +39 06 39967700. They have English-speaking operators.

People who have Roma Passes, or who have bought tickets or tours in advance, don't have to wait in the ticket queue. There is a sign directing them to go to a different window to pick up their tickets tours, or show their passes or tickets printed at home.

Once again, there is no need of a guide if you just want to skip the queue. There are good signs inside, in English and Italian, that explain everything, You can also download free audio tours on the internet. There are several good tours available for your phone or mp3 player.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

Couldn't agree more about giving at least the hotel's address - but no bad thing either if TA got their auto-linking to work, rather than those blued words only going to a "404 Not Found" page...

Who does one tell, I wonder?

There are some itinerary suggestions from the tourist board here:

http://www.turismoroma.it/itinerari?lang=en

But do do something to avoid the queue at the Colosseum.... where waiting around isn't without its potential hazards!

ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2012/09…

Peter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

apologies for not giving the address. I thought the hotel name would be sufficient but ya there are so many hotels and the one we are staying is an average one

Hotel Name:Hotel raffaello

Internet address: http://www.hotelraffaello.it/

Address:Via Urbana 3 / 5, 00184 Rome, Italy

Could you please let me know how we can fit the below things in 4 days of our stay in Rome ?

In Rome:

1.Colosseum

2.Pantheon

3. Roman Forum

4. Spanish Steps

5. Trevi Fountain - Must throw a coin in it!

6. Castel Sant'Angelo

7. Piazza Navona

8. Villa Borghese Gardens

In Vatican City (one day tour max):

1)sistine chapel

2)one famous building or museum

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

Yes, you can fit those in your four days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

thanks. Can you pls help me which ones I should start one what day and time?

For example the below three in Day1 starting at 10am.

1.Colosseum

2.Pantheon

3. Roman Forum

Day1 at night or after 6pm

4. Spanish steps ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

It's not easy to decipher your question, but I think you want to know the order in which to visit these three sites.

The Colosseum and the Roman Forum are very near each other, so see them together. You might want to see the Palatine Hill as well, which is right next to the Roman Forum, and not far from the Colosseum. The ticket includes all three.

The Pantheon is in a different part of town, very near Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain, so you probably should put those together. Start at Piazza Navona, then walk to the Pantheon, on to Trevi Fountain, and you can walk from there to the Spanish Steps. The Pantheon closes at 7, 6 on Sundays. The rest are all outdoors, of course.

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Rome visit - excited but very stressed

We stayed at Hotel Raffaello this summer and walked everywhere exept the Vatican.