We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

near the wedding cake

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
near the wedding cake

Can someone please help.I recently visited Rome and there is a little white marble tomb around the right hand side of the wedding cake all by itself,I'm just wondering does anyone know who it belongs to?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: near the wedding cake

I believe it is just the "Tomb of the unknown soldier" from WW-1

2. Re: near the wedding cake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 06:43
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: near the wedding cake

Hi,thank you for your reply but it's this little tomb on my profile picture that i'm trying to find out what it is.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: near the wedding cake

Can you give us a link to a larger version of that photo?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: near the wedding cake

I copied it to my photos and enlarged it there. I don't think it's a tomb at all; if it were, the lower sides would be as finely finished as the top. I suspect it's a building element of some kind, with what is now the top facing outward, but I have no idea which building it might have come from or why it has been placed where it has.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: near the wedding cake

I've just done as Zerlina did, and I agree that it's not a tomb. I think they're doing some restructuration work nearby, so maybe it's a piece of the Vittoriano monument that they've moved there temporarily.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: near the wedding cake

I am sure this is part of the "insula" or Roman apartment building at the side of the Capitoline hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulae

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: near the wedding cake

I think Mozcity was asking about the piece of marble in front of the insula in her photo.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: near the wedding cake

Thanks everyone for your replies,you've tracked it down to where it is.The coffin shape marble is inbetween the two trees,but not on the picture in the link.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: near the wedding cake

I have to agree, it looks more like it is a piece of facade than a tomb