We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE Help Food Issues

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
PLEASE Help Food Issues

We have been invited to spend Christmas holidays in Rome .. Would love to go .. I have many food sensitivities as well lactose intolerance .. I have a very limited diet and am concerned about finding foods that I can eat .. We are staying very near the Spanish Steps .. Does anyone know if there are grocery stores in the area that might sell Peanut Butter .. Oatmeal .. Jams/Jellies .. English Muffins .. Potatoes .. Chicken .. I can bring some of these items with me but we are there for two weeks plus .. I would feel so much more comfortable about going if I knew I could buy some of these foods nearby ..

Thank you ..

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

Hi,

Funny that i came across your post. I am currently in Rome with my fiancee. She has allergies to a wide range of foods also and can't have cream, pineapple, anything cooked in canola oil etc.. her range of foods is also very limited. We've been here for five days and she's held up fine. There are many supermarkets all over Rome. Where we're staying (Not near the Spanish steps unfortunately) there are about 4 supermarkets I've spotted in a 500m radius. I was near the Spanish steps today and saw about 2 during my walk however i wasn't keeping an eye out for them so i most likely passed a whole bunch more.

They absolutely do stock oatmeal, jams/jellies, potatoes and chicken however I've not seen English muffins... but there's heaps available especially if you go to a bigger supermarket. I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you're allergic to certain ingredients added to food and are able to use your mobile phone data i would reccomend getting the Google translator app. You can essentially take a photo of the ingredients with this app, highlight the words you want translated and it will do it for you! Takes the guessing game out of it.

Anyway, i hope I've helped in some small way. You should be fine!

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

You have helped me a great deal .. After reading your response I bought my tickets .. I am still concerned but feel confident that I can pack some of my need to have foods .. The peanut butter is a staple for me but I can pack it and look for it when I am there if I need .. The appt info info is wonderful ..The people that I have talked to mostly ate out and told me cheese would be difficult to avoid as almost everything is served with cheese .. I am also lactose intolerate so that scared me a bit too .. I prob won't be able to eat out as much as I would like but I can eat pasta so that should help .. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation to you for taking the time to response ... ! Enjoy your trip !

EMT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

Cheese is not served with almost everything. You can get many excellent vegetables, simple pastas (without use of cheese), chicken dishes, they make the most incredible roasted potatoes, etc. You will be fine and you will be able to eat out as often as you like.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

If you can eat seafood, the seafood dishes will certainly not be served with cheese.

My daughter is allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant) and anything else bovine, including beef. She has no problem eating out in Rome. You can ask to have almost anything made without cheese. She loves pasta all'amatriciana, in which cheese is a major ingredient, but restaurants are happy to give it to her without cheese.

The gelaterias in Rome usually have a wide selection of ice creams and sherbets that are made without milk products (senza latte).

Chicken is very frequently found on menus in Italy, as are potatoes, roasted, fried, or baked. Potato gnocchi are usually made with cheese, and since they're made well in advance, you really can't avoid it.

I have great difficulty finding oatmeal where I live, but Rome has a more international population, so I suppose it's more available there. Peanut butter, and jams and jellies, should be widely available. You might want to try Nutella, which is a hazelnut butter with chocolate added. I don't like peanut butter, nor Nutella, because it reminds me of peanut butter, so I think a peanut butter lover would like it.

I've never seen English muffins here, but breads in Italy are generally not made with any milk products, so you could safely eat Italian bread. The "pane comune" (common bread) which is required to be carried in every bread bakery, has by law only flour, salt, yeast, and water. In some parts of central Italy, such as Florence, it doesn't have salt. Some breads have oil added, but I've never seen a bread with milk (latte) or butter (burro).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

Get to a library or bookstore and go through some authentic Italian cookbooks. Familiarize yourself with the cuisine of Rome, and the ingredients used to make dishes served there.

There are allergies in my family, and I have done this every time we went abroad.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't find plenty to eat in Rome.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

I am allergic to cows milk products, and sensitive to soy and citrus. Italy is one of the easiest countries I have traveled in. They even have pizza by the slice with no cheese on it! Forno La Renella in Trastevere always had 2 or 3 choices every day. Link to map is below.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k57738…

There is also a great organic grocery store very near the entrance to the Jewish Ghetto. They don't speak much English but the labeling was pretty easy to figure out. You should be able to find oatmeal here. The long link below is to a map and street view. The store is called Albero del pane and it is on Santa Maria del Pianto. It is a very short walk from Campo dei Fiori.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Albero+del+pane+erboristeria+Santa+Maria+del+Pianto&fb=1&hq=Albero+del+pane+erboristeria+Santa+Maria+del+Pianto&cid=0,0,16468958543066536877&sa=X&ei=RG9bULy_J5PRiALwwoEI&ved=0CH0Q_BIwAw

BVlenci's advice about ordering is spot on. Also nice to know, Italian margarine has no dairy (or soy).

I actually had the most problems with citrus. It is very liberally used with all seafood.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 20:47
Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

Sorry, I copied the wrong link for La Renella's info.

yubuk.com/it/ristorante-roma/ristorante-la-r…

And here is a link to Tripadvisor reviews.

…tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d…

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

Bubble wrap your peanut butter and stick into your luggage because you will not find it in Italy.

If you have dietary restrictions you can translate them into Italian and carry a piece of paper with the information. You will be amazined at how helpful the restaurants can be....

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

If you google the address you are staying in ... go to the left side and click on <search nearby> and type in ''supermarket. You will get a list and icons on the map where they are.

United States
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PLEASE Help Food Issues

I have found peanut butter in the larger grocery stores in Italy. It is usually the creamy style and I think it's mostly Skippy brand. COOP and Billa carry it for sure.

TAB