We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

We want to see the Vatican on one of the Friday night tours. Is it possible to enter the Vatican in the mid afternoon, leave when it closes at 6 and then join the Night tour at the appointed time after that? Also, I couldn't find a description of what one sees in the night tour? How am I missing this?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

The rooms that are open are listed on the website when you click on the night openings link to buy your tickets.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

You cannot enter early and then return. Your ticket is only valid for the night entry starting at 7pm.

Donna

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

Thanks, Donna--Having never been in Italy before, I wonder if the four hours are enough to see the Vatican properly or should we allow another half day for it?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

I think four hours is probably about right to see the rooms that are open for the night tour. The Etruscan collection isn't included on the night visit, and that is certainly worth seeing, but I don't know that I would return just for that. Why don't you decide after you've done the night visit?

I see that the Egyptian collection is included; I think it didn't use to be. That's definitely worth seeing.

Maryland!
Level Contributor
70 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

Just did the night visit last Friday-- 4 hours was just right. It's a tiring 4 hours, lots of walking, looking, so much to take in, but the crowds were low and the nighttime was spectacular.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

OP: are you only talking about the Vatican Museums or the Basilica as well? You mention the "Vatican" and I am just curious if you are only asking about the length of the time for just the museums.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

It didn't occur to me that it might include the Basilica, because that's not included on the night tour. Four hours would be very little time to see both the Basilica and the Vatican Museums.

If you want to see the Basilica, Concord, you'll have to go there before the night tour, and before the Basilica closes, I think at 6 PM.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

As you might tell, I am somewhat overwhelmed with things trying to get things sorted out. We want to see the square and the Basilica. Is that part of the Vatican free or do we need tickets for that part as well? I have looked at the web site but, as you can tell, I am confused. Grazie.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

I thought that might be what you were asking about - yes, the square and the Basilica are free.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

Visit the basilica before the night tour or you won't get to see it. It closes at 7 so I would get there before 4 to give yourself enough time to explore.

donna

Orange County, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Night Vatican tickets--early in the day entry?

Hey guys,

First time poster and Im going to Rome at the end of this month. (first time as well)

Im considering the night opening but does the tour or admission include the Sistine Chapel? If it doesnt that means you would have to buy another ticket for earlier that day or another day, correct?

thanks in advance!