We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Steps

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Steps

Are you allowed to eat on the Spanish steps?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Steps

I'm not sure there is anything you cannot do on the Steps......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Steps

I remember sitting on the Spanish Steps with my lunch and soft drink for such a long time, dreaming, taking photos, people watching ... why not?

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Steps

Dale 47_11, you sound like us. We can't absorb enough on our trips! Keep traveling! :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Steps

There was a thread at TA about a year ago that there has been a law passed in Rome that forbade eatting on church steps and the like. Not sure if it is still in force or not.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Steps

It was longer ago than I thought: 2008

""Rome bans snacks at tourist sites".

It goes on to talk about the $80 fine and says, "City Hall is banning all those enjoying a Roman holiday this summer from snacking near the sights in Rome's historical center..."

I told her that I believe this means we can't sit on things like the Pantheon or Spanish Steps to eat, but we should be able to nibble on something walking along the street"

Not sure if thaqt was a one time thing or not

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k21302…

Edited: 24 September 2012, 15:06
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Steps

There are levels to these things - and how rigidly they're enforced...

So, even if the 2010 regulations (*) on picnicking at historic monuments did ever reach the permanent statutes, they'll perhaps only be invoked in cases of excess?

(*) Reported here, so must be true....

www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=208

At times there's also been similar legislation about night-time drinking in the area:

ilmessaggero.it/home_roma/…158534.shtml

Think though those have both lapsed, as the local business people have been agitating for more of the same:

…repubblica.it/cronaca/…

Two things I try when wanting to settle such questions - recent reviews here on TA.... rather ambiguous in this instance:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

... and photos on Flickr taken with the last month or two!

But, beyond water and icecreams, the most I can see is one from Sept 12th - which shows a rather disgruntled chap with his closed pizza box and, far behind him, a girl with an orange juice:

flickr.com/photos/…

It might be an idea to have a back-up plan - perhaps the Borghese gardens, ten or so minutes walk away?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/globe

Peter

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Steps

Can you eat in the gardens without an entrance fee? TKS!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Steps

Oh yes... just wander in, it's like a huge park - and dotted with interesting things!

Peter

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Steps

I would take your food to the Borghese Gardens.

It is a truly beautiful and tranquil place far better than sitting on the Spanish Steps.

It is a few years since I was in Rome on holiday but back then people were eating at the historical sites which annoyed me a little.

Do you really want to take your precious photos with tons of people on them eating and drinking?

Well I didn't!

There is a time and place for everything:-)

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Steps

This evening the Mayor of Rome has issued an executive order prohibiting camping, using sleeping bags, or ***stopping to eat and drink*** in the vicinity of monuments and places of interest within the Centro Storico. The prohibition is in force until 31st December 2012.