We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone

Iota
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone

What is the best solution for cell phone use in Rome???

Do I bring my cell and research best plan??

Do I rent a phone in Rome?

I am really wanting to have a pre-paid plan if at all possible or something cost efficient. Will just be there a week and it is to mostly use for contacting guides or my spouse( who will bring his phone) if we take off in different directions, etc. Best solution for incoming and outgoing calls??

Appreciate any/all suggestions.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone

It depends on your planned usage. If you are planning more than one trip abroad, I recommend you look at www.mobal.com. This company is based in the UK. Instead of renting phones you buy the phone. I bought 2 phones for $49 each. You get a permanent UK phone number, but you don't have to pay for monthly service. You are billed only for the calls made. The price per minute isn't necessarily cheap, but compared to renting it's a bargain, especially if you're going to use the phones on more than one trip. You keep your phone number, so you don't have to be changing SIM cards and numbers while you go from country to country. I've rented before, but these phones were far better on our recent trip to Paris. We're taking them to Italy this summer and London at Christmas.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k54163…