We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee

I love cafe! (Meaning espresso). But sometimes I'd like a splash of cream, milk, half & half, or whatever they use there when you don't want a strong espresso, but might want maybe 4-6 oz of coffee with a splash. Is the right thing to ask for, a "macchiato?" I do not want a latte. I want an espresso - just not totally black. Thanks! (I realize in the morning I can ask for a cappuccino). But what about afternoon?

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee

If you want a cappuccino in the afternoon, I'm sure they'll serve you one - don't worry about it.

Apart from cappucino, you could ask for caffe macchiato, an espresso stained with milk - be careful that you don't ask for a latte macchiato which is milk stained with coffee.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee

For the "what they'll perhaps recognise" varieties, here's the list at our favourite little bar - where caffe Americano (espresso with a bit of extra water, they way they serve it) would probably be the closest, and then ask for a drop of milk to go in it:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/140853039

Beyond that, you're on your own... hand gestures perhaps?

And if all else fails, with an espresso you should also be served a glass of water as well, so simply wash it down with that!

Peter

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee

Thanks! So what's a latte machiatto? And what is an espresso orzo?

Great idea to send the menu. Thanks!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee

Latte macchiato is hot milk with little coffee, usually served in a glass. Just to clarify, latte means milk, neither more nor less.

Espresso orzo (but the expression "caffè d'orzo" is more common) is similar to an espresso, but made with barley (orzo means barley) instead of coffee. The taste is not exactly the same but many people like it, and it is healthier for the heart. You can also have a "cappuccino d'orzo" (cappuccino made with barley instead of coffee, of course).

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee

Orzo is barley - a popular substitute for, or addition to, coffee here. We've always thought it easily, and best, avoided!

I've no idea quite where in the spectrum a latte machiatto should fall - but this video predates the capsule machines, and may be more or less what our little place would serve up... and how they'd make it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3UgKgKKfI

That's a month's milk for us....

Peter

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee

Apparently some Italian barristas get a kick out of playing a joke on Americans who order a "latte" thinking they've ordered an espresso drink. Since "latte" does indeed just mean milk, they'll just hand the American a glass of milk and hilarity ensues. :-) (Most Americans don't realize that, at Starbucks, a "latte" is actually short for "caffe' latte".)

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee

Yes I'm well aware about the "latte" situation. Ok I'm sure we'll be fine. Thanks for all the input.

NY
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee

MichaelSeattle...you really know how to hurt a guy. In Sicily a few years ago I sat looking at a glass of warm milk for just that reason.

Well, no worse than 40 years ago staring ar a dish of grapefruit (pomplemousse) when I thought I had ordered chocolate mousse

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee

Min - sure you will!

That little bar is opposite a hotel popular with foreigners - from whom it used to pick up a lot of extra trade at breakfast, when that "meal" was offered an avoidable extra - so they may be better adapted than some....

But there you'd probably be best asking for an Americano (which, with no filter machine, they make with espresso and additional hot water)..... with some hand signals to show you want it even longer ("lungo")... accompanied by a little jug of milk on the side? That may even come automatically, as we've often had to leave ours...

But - on the topic of mistakes - if, on the list of juices, you spot ananas , don't assume a tiny typo - since it doesn't refer to a monkey's favourite, but pineapple!

Peter

London, England
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee

i was in a bar in Spain and an English friend (who speaks excellent Spanish) asked for a cup of tea with cold milk as they often brought it hot.

She was served a glass of cold milk with a teabag in it. At least it gave us a good laugh.

I have been visiting Italy and my friend in Rome for over 40 years and never heard of cafffe d'orzo. Is it a common thing to have?