We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO to Civitavecchia

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
427 reviews
Save Topic
FCO to Civitavecchia

We will be joining a cruise at the end of November that is scheduled to depart Civitavecchia at 5pm. However, my companion's travel agent booked a flight arriving Rome at 12:35pm of the same day. I'll be arriving on an earlier flight in the morning. I just found out that Civitavecchia is not exactly in Rome city proper but around 80 miles out. I've read the FAQ's but I still can't make out the quickest way to get to Civitavecchia from FCO. Given the very limited time, can anyone recommend the quickest (most economical) way to Civitavecchia or are we cutting it too fine?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

If the ship is due to sail at 5 p.m. do you have a latest time to be on board?

Is it an intercontinental flight arriving at 12.35?

Edited: 27 September 2012, 15:19
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

If we complete our online check-in, we are allowed to board at least an hour prior to sailing. I'd prefer to have an additional half hour if that's possible though. All our flights will be originating from the Philippines with 1 stop.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 15:34
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

Hmmm. Dicey. If the 12.35 flight is on time you'll be lucky to be out of the airport by 2 p.m. (depending on how many non-european flights arrive around that time). You need to be at Civitavecchia at the very latest by 4 p.m.

To go from FCO to Civitavecchia by public transport you need a train into Rome and another one out to Civitavecchia.

I just had a quick look at the Trenitalia timetables. A train from FCO at 2.13pm with change at Roma Trastevere would get you to Civitavecchia at exactly 4 p.m. But that's no good because it's quite a way from the station to the port. The earlier train from FCO which would get you to Civitavecchia in time leaves FCO at 1.28 p.m. Too early in my opinion.

So, yes, you are cutting it too fine. A taxi would be the best, but rather expensive.

But wait for a second opinion. There are many on TA who have used FCO much more recently that I have.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 15:44
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

Thinking about it, there are so many unknown factors at work here, if it had been me we would have both arrived on the previous day,and spent a night in Rome.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

@appia670...many thanks for your reply. Guess we'll have to take a closer look at other options then.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

That's really unfortunate that the travel agent booked a flight arriving so late. Flights are not always on time, and cruise ships don't wait for anyone. I would suggest to your companion that the travel agent should be made to rebook the flight to an earlier one.

There's a train station at the airport, to your right as you exit the customs hall. There is an elevator that will take you to the upper level where the train station is located. You can buy your ticket to Civitavecchia at one of the ticket machines. You'll take the FR1 train (not the Leonardo Express) to Trastevere station, where you'll change trains to the train for Civitavecchia. The trip takes about 1 1/2 hours, and the fare is 11 euros. Trains run more or less hourly at that time of day. Be sure to stamp your tickets in the machine at trackside before boarding the train. In Civitavecchia, you can take a taxi to the port. It's not very far.

A private driver could make the trip in less than an hour. Civitavecchia is only about 70 km from the airport, which is 50-some miles, not 80. A driver would cost about 120-150 euros. It might be worth it, because the driver would wait for you in the arrivals hall, help with your luggage, and take you straight to the ship. You could ask for a quote from romecabs.com or romeshuttlelimousine.com .

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

Appreciate the suggestions bvlenci...thanks! Does seem really tight. Their tickets have been booked and paid for so we'll have to see if there are any charges and penalties for changing their flights. It might even be cheaper to just take a cab.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

I would ask for quotes from the private drivers I mentioned. Sometimes they cost less than a taxi. (Competition is high!)

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

@bvlenci...will do as suggested. Thank you :-)

10. Re: FCO to Civitavecchia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:18