We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

So here's a silly question. I think we're going to stay at the Splendide Royal, which is next to the Borgese gardens.

We thought that it would be nice to stay near some sort of garden, because when we were in Paris a few months ago, we stayed across the street from the Tuileries. We absolutely loved being able to meander through them on the way home, or to get a croissant and coffee and have our breakfast there in the morning. We visited them every day.

BUT, are the Borgese gardens similar? Meaning, do they have public access all day, and are the sort of "meeting grounds" like the Tuileries?

Just wondering if we're getting the wrong idea. Sorry if this is a silly question! We've never been to Rome.

Thanks so much,

Katie

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

Katie,

The Borgese Park is more like NYC's Central Park but smaller. I didn't get to see too much of it. I walked through it on the way to the Villa Borgese Galleria (amazing art!) located inside. I stayed at the Hotel Locarno which is near the park and I loved that area. Not sure where your hotel is but if it's near the same area I think you will be happy. The park is open sun up to sun down.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

That's a great question. Acutally, I believe the Borghese Gardens are far larger than Central Park (I used to live on the park when I lived in NY). The Tuileries Park is a long, thin strip that runs alongside a major road, so you may remember that you walk for a spell and then hop a cab if you wanted to; you are never far from other attractions, the river, the louve etc. Borgese gardens are far more vast and deep and irregularly shaped, so that when you are walking in them, you can not, many times, see the road. Though the Borghese Gardens do have things to do (as the Tuiliers has), like bike rentals and a little pond with boat rentals, they are spread out. In addition, they are much more lush and forested and green than the flower-bedded Parisian park.

Public access is all day, every day, but closed at night (I think after dusk).

You will be a good distance away from the anceient center (and other sights of Rome) so you need to consider exactly where your hotel is located. If it is on the far side of the park (near the Zoo) then it's a haul.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

Thank you everyone!

SoloRoma, the Splendide Royale is on Via De Porta Pinciana, on the southeast edge of the Gardens. I still think we'll be OK in terms of walking distance, right?? Here's a link to the map:

splendideroyal.com/images/roma_mappa_g.gif

Thanks again!

Katie

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

Yep. That's a great spot.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

I should mention that you will have to walk up to the gate at Porta Pinciana and Via Veneto to enter the park. Otherwise, you will walk down busy Via Porta Pinciana to Via Sistina to get to the Spanish Steps and other sights west of your hotel.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borgese Gardens--like the Tuileries in Paris??

I should mention that you will have to walk up to the gate at Porta Pinciana and Via Veneto to enter the park. Otherwise, you will walk down busy Via Porta Pinciana to Via Sistina to get to the Spanish Steps and other sights west of your hotel.